I think I screwed up....

Shinsetta

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Looking for some advice from some of you, experts. I just bought the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite (ERLite-3) for my home network:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPRVF5K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I needed a wired router so last night, I just quickly read through the reviews and just picked the one that had good ratings. However, now that I am reading the reviews more closely today, I'm a little apprehensive. Some of the reviewers say that you need to be pretty knowledgeable about networking in order to use this. Did I bite off more than I can chew? (I'm a relatively newbie at networking. I know what a router is supposed to do but that's pretty much it.)

I am basically looking for a wired router for my home. I have fiber optics that come to my house so I was looking for a router with gigabit ports.

I stream movies from a server to my TV. And when I'm on trips, I also like to stream movies for my kids and me from this home server using Plex (at the highest setting). Also I play a bit of games.

I just noticed that this only has 3 ethernet ports so I guess I need to buy a switch because I need 2 additonal ports. Or should I return it and get something else?

Thanks for your help, guys.

Solution

newbcakes

Honorable
May 21, 2012
how about something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-SG300-28-Ethernet-Switch-SRW2024-K9-NA/dp/B007I5AE8S/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1470845677&sr=1-3&keywords=cisco+sg300-20

I'm no network pro, but I can work my way around most network gear. I've created vlan's, isolated and shaped traffic, etc. Are you using the EdgeRouter for its firewall/NAT capability?

let me clarify - I own one of these, and have it installed in my home, driving any wired device (PC's, TV's, anything with an Ethernet port). It was "plug and play" unless I wanted to configure something specific.

edit 2: also could you confirm that you're looking for a router vs. a switch? the link I've provided does both. I had a specific desire to segregate traffic (hence the layer 3 switch). router/switch/access point... all different

What you bought, is something that you would setup, and use with a central server.
Where such things Qos, can be used for example to limit the bandwidth each client machine on the network running can have and use when requesting data or files from the central server.

It can be used on a network for load balancing over the complete network to ensure each client machine for instance is guaranteed a set amount of bandwidth.

For a home network, unless you wish do do this, then fine.
But it is mostly used in a network environment where bandwidth is at a premium.

I think you may of gone a bit overboard with your choice of router.

TBH.

Shinsetta

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Thanks for the help. Is there a router that you recommend that better fits my needs?

Shinsetta

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Hey, newbcakes....kindred spirits!!

You seem to know a little bit more than me but I'm pretty handy with stuff so I can eventually figure things out. But I wouldn't want to invest a lot of time into this if it's not necessary. I'm busy enough with my disobedient kids whom I have to thrash every night. (just kidding).

I'm just looking for a plug and play router that can direct the traffic after coming into my house via Verizon's fiber optic cable from the street. So it needs to be a router that has good firewall and NAT capabilities. I like to stream movies and stuff like that so I'd like gigabit ports too. I don't have too many devices that are wired...maybe about 5 LAN ports needed? (2 computers, TV, 20 tb server, wireless access point)

I was thinking about getting the Nighthawk X4S and use it as my wireless access point:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0192911RA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, the router that you suggested seems awesome but I'm hoping that I don't have to shell out more $$ if it's not necessary. But if you think it's all necessary in the quest of getting the fastest connection, I'll go for it!!

That is a good router, pricey but good. You don't need a high end switch like the Sisco one that was linked. Stick the router on the modem from the ISP, get a small 8 port switch to expand Ethernet ports if you need more. This will be fine http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=12K-008X-00026&cm_re=Netgrear_switch-_-12K-008X-00026-_-Product

newbcakes

Honorable
May 21, 2012

Shinsetta -

Sorry for the late reply. If you're hooked up through FiOS, isn't your modem acting as your firewall/NAT? Their "Quantum Gateway" does that iirc. You may not have that equipment, but not sure. Otherwise, what others have said in the thread is good. The Nighthawk is a little pricey, but offers physical ports as well as a wireless AP. Someone would have to correct me if I'm wrong but I think the draw to the nighthawk is the supposed broader wireless coverage?

I also don't know the physical port speeds on the nighthawk. As another side note, I have kids with devices (laptops, ipods, kindles) and a wife with devices, 3 TV's, etc. and I've never had an issue with the Vzn Quantum Gateway.

In fact, after reading the spec sheet on the Vzn gear, that's what I'd recommend... https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-quantum-gateway/

Solution