[SOLVED] I think im ready for my first overclock ?

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
Hey guys

Just done my first pc build :

windows 10 64
ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0
Amd Ryzen 3 2200g
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz
Corsair CP-9020102-UK CX550M 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Po Wer Supply Unit

First went into Bios as suggested and loaded XMP profile so that I could get my full 3200ghz ram and then selected 4gb for allowed ram for gpu.

There was a glitch but not sure what happened.... whilst just browsing a video on youtube... i lost my monitor display... came up no display but i simply restarted the pc and its been fine since... ive been keeping a look at my temps and the gpu/cpu with nothing running sits around 32c and the motherboard and hdd dont go above 27 c so not sure what caused it to cut out like that hopefully it was a one off ?

This is as far as ive got... as im not sure the next steps to take with my setup as its my first time, i dont have any games installed just halo 2 project cartographer.

Tahnks for any advice.

resoltion is 4k and 30 as hdmi wont allow 60.

Solution
Don't disregard that crash so quick... your memory might not be stable with the XMP profile.
Try stress testing with linpack or prime95(avx disabled) for 1-2 hours to check the stability of the system with XMP.

Both Linpack and Prime95 only test a subset of memory. A very tiny subset in some cases...possibly only the processor cache in fact. And not very thoroughly at that.

Get something called MemTest - linked HERE. Follow instructions to test as much of your memory as possible, test it through AT LEAST TWICE before saying it's good to go. It will take quite a while to go through it all, but you can break up the test into smaller blocks and launch multiple instances; one for each processor thread is usually best...
it might have been a random crash whilst windows was trying to update something.

anomalys happen.
it porbably has nothing to do with the xmp profile, although it is dumb and xmp is stupid. (always has bugs)

as for the title, if you are ready, well... just follow an overclocking guide or something. you cant brick a cpu by oc'ing it.

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
it might have been a random crash whilst windows was trying to update something.

anomalys happen.
it porbably has nothing to do with the xmp profile, although it is dumb and xmp is stupid. (always has bugs)

as for the title, if you are ready, well... just follow an overclocking guide or something. you cant brick a cpu by oc'ing it.

Alrighty was just wondering if there was anything specific to my build I should be doing I might have missed to get the best out of it ?

It was mentioned to get the 3200ghz ram as my apu is thirsty for the speed but is there anything else I need to configure in bios etc before overclocking ?

Also I happened to noticed someone with 2600ghz ram installed and the oc it to get to 3200ghz would there be any benifit in me overclocking mine so I can go beyond 3200ghz ?

Alrighty was just wondering if there was anything specific to my build I should be doing I might have missed to get the best out of it ?

It was mentioned to get the 3200ghz ram as my apu is thirsty for the speed but is there anything else I need to configure in bios etc before overclocking ?

Also I happened to noticed someone with 2600ghz ram installed and the oc it to get to 3200ghz would there be any benifit in me overclocking mine so I can go beyond 3200ghz ?
3600mhz is the sweetspot, but its honestly only a few perfect better then 3200mhz
ram overclocking is a chore, so if youre up to it go for it but i wouldnt recommend it.

Reactions: onemoretimex
Hey guys

Just done my first pc build :

windows 10 64
ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0
Amd Ryzen 3 2200g
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz
Corsair CP-9020102-UK CX550M 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Po Wer Supply Unit

First went into Bios as suggested and loaded XMP profile so that I could get my full 3200ghz ram and then selected 4gb for allowed ram for gpu.

There was a glitch but not sure what happened.... whilst just browsing a video on youtube... i lost my monitor display... came up no display but i simply restarted the pc and its been fine since... ive been keeping a look at my temps and the gpu/cpu with nothing running sits around 32c and the motherboard and hdd dont go above 27 c so not sure what caused it to cut out like that hopefully it was a one off ?

This is as far as ive got... as im not sure the next steps to take with my setup as its my first time, i dont have any games installed just halo 2 project cartographer.

Tahnks for any advice.

resoltion is 4k and 30 as hdmi wont allow 60.

Don't disregard that crash so quick... your memory might not be stable with the XMP profile.
Try stress testing with linpack or prime95(avx disabled) for 1-2 hours to check the stability of the system with XMP.

Reactions: onemoretimex

Both Linpack and Prime95 only test a subset of memory. A very tiny subset in some cases...possibly only the processor cache in fact. And not very thoroughly at that.

Get something called MemTest - linked HERE. Follow instructions to test as much of your memory as possible, test it through AT LEAST TWICE before saying it's good to go. It will take quite a while to go through it all, but you can break up the test into smaller blocks and launch multiple instances; one for each processor thread is usually best. That way it can start spitting out errors right off so you can stop and regroup.

If it's borderline stable, I'd suggest trying a higher DIMM voltage before giving up and dropping clocks back. DDR4 is rated up to 1.5V (the DRAM chips have to be to certify to the specification) but I'd stop at 1.4. Usually 1.35-1.375 is enough for 3200Mtps.

Overclocking memory has been shown to provide the biggest boost for Ryzen APU graphics performance so it's good to go for all you can get here first.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS