Question I think it my be overheating. 3080 on a Lian Li 215

Durzo

Prominent
Aug 31, 2022
About a month ago I upgrade my GPU from a 3060 to a 3080, and also upgrade my power supply from 750 to 850. Ever since the upgrade my games would crash randomly. Some of these crashes I have fixed by limiting the games FPS. I only play 2 games mainly right now, Apex Legends, and Cyberpunk 2077.

System Specs:
Mobo: X570 UD
GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Z Trio 10GB LHR
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED ARGB
RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4-3600 Cl-18
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850 80 Gold
Storage: m.2 500GB
Case: Lian Li 215 (Stock config)

Apex Legends.
  • Crashed every hour or two. CTD crash.
  • Got fixed when I limited FPS to 144, and turned any lighting or shadow setting to off or the lowest, the rest on high.

Cyberpunk 2077
- Crashes every 30 minutes.

Things I've tried but still the game crashes
  • Underclocking from 30hz to even 500hz.
  • Lowering power limit to 86% (to try to rule out temp?)
  • Lowering power limit to 50% (to try to rule out PSU problems?)
  • Updated Drivers with DDU
  • Reformat, Updated Drivers with DDU
  • Debug mode on Nvidia Control Panel

Things I've tried that didn't lead to any crashes
- I took the side glass panel off my case, so more airflow I guess? Or heat dissipates better?

Why I think it may not be overheating.
- I did one test with MSI Afterburing monitoring a few things and this is with the side panel attached, so the system is complete enclosed.
GPU Temp: 72C
GPU Usage: 64%
Power %: 50%
Power, W: 242W
CPU power, W: 75

At this point I'm stumped, I think it's overheating, and that's why the game crashes, but I also have a nagging feeling I'm missing something.

This is how the system is setup right now.

wstRua.jpg

Hey there,

Whilst your PSU is a pretty good one, it could be having issues with your 3080 and it's transient power spikes. The power spikes can be north of 500w alone for the GPU, sometimes more. This trips the OCP on the PSU. It seems it's an issue with the Focus/Prime line. Mainly to do with the quality of the capacitors.

This is a good explainer: The Brewing Problem with GPU Power Design | Transients - YouTube

Corsair RMx are better at handling the spikes.

Durzo

Prominent
Aug 31, 2022
Hey there,

Whilst your PSU is a pretty good one, it could be having issues with your 3080 and it's transient power spikes. The power spikes can be north of 500w alone for the GPU, sometimes more. This trips the OCP on the PSU. It seems it's an issue with the Focus/Prime line. Mainly to do with the quality of the capacitors.

This is a good explainer: The Brewing Problem with GPU Power Design | Transients - YouTube

Corsair RMx are better at handling the spikes.

This is one of the things I was thinking about too, since I believe models 2018 and below are affected from somewhere I read. I think I read it from the PSU Tier List

This is one of the things I was thinking about too, since I believe models 2018 and below are affected from somewhere I read. I think I read it from the PSU Tier List

Yes, it's very possible. It's been hitting the forums for a while now. You're not alone. If possible you could bring to local repair store, and get them to swap out and test a new PSU. Might cost 20£$€ or so. Before going that route, it might be worth considering a bios update. What's your current version? It might bring a fix.

Last edited:

Durzo

Prominent
Aug 31, 2022
Yes, it's very possible. It's been hitting the forums for a while now. You're not alone. If possible you could bring to local repair store, and get them to swap out and test a new PSU. Might cost 20£$€ or so. Before going that route, it might be worth considering a bios update. What's your current version? It might bring a fix.
Bios is at 12/31/2020. I can try to update.

I'm still puzzled on how it doesn't crash when the side panel is removed. Because if it's the psu tripping, how does it relate to not crashing when the side panel is not attached.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

logainofhades

Titan
EVGA G6/P6 is another good psu, for handling RTX 30 series power spikes.

Bios is at 12/31/2020. I can try to update.

I'm still puzzled on how it doesn't crash when the side panel is removed. Because if it's the psu tripping, how does it relate to not crashing when the side panel is not attached.

I am surprised your system even posts, with that old of a bios.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead