[SOLVED] I think I've messed up

Oct 22, 2020
I just got a new corsair water cooler for my i7 8700k on my auros z390 pro wifi mbd. It's not booting(everything turns on, no video, then restart) and I've tried to replace ram and gpu but then I noticed a red LED on something labelled cpu. in the manual it just says it means it isn't working properly. I took out the cpu and replaced it. Nothing looks put of place and there's no foreign material on my cpu. Any ideas? I have also attached a photo of a scratch I made during the replacement(under the f in wifi) View: http://imgur.com/gallery/C7LF4Sm

Last edited:
Solution
I'd remove power, remove BIOS battery, hold down power switch a few times to clear residual CMOS, remove GPU entirely, and connect your monitor to the mainboard's onboard video output, as it certainly has a usable HDMI output...

Make sure your ATX12V CPU power is reconnected to appropriate mainboard connector from PSU using correct cable that came with that PSU...

Reinsert battery, reconnect power, and power it back up.

(The scratch mark should not be relevant, as there are no visible components there...)

GOod luck
I'd remove power, remove BIOS battery, hold down power switch a few times to clear residual CMOS, remove GPU entirely, and connect your monitor to the mainboard's onboard video output, as it certainly has a usable HDMI output...

Make sure your ATX12V CPU power is reconnected to appropriate mainboard connector from PSU using correct cable that came with that PSU...

Reinsert battery, reconnect power, and power it back up.

(The scratch mark should not be relevant, as there are no visible components there...)

GOod luck

Solution

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Can you get a closer picture of the scratch? I do believe I can see some of the tracing being laid open. If the trace is only laid bare, and signals still go through, you should be fine, if the trace is damaged though, :c.

So, from the basics, you replaced the CPU Cooler, was it stubborn to remove, kinda sticky? If so, try removing the CPU Cooler again, undo the CPU latch and re-seat the CPU, then re-apply thermal paste and redo the cooler mounting.

Did you plug in the cooler fan connector to the CPU Fan header on the motherboard?(Sorry, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but some boards refuse to boot unless RPM's register on the CPU Fan header.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
try removing the cooler check your board for bent pins anywhere , I hope this didnt happen but theres a small chance you can tighten the cooler down tooo tight and mess something up ,, but maybe it just needs to be reseated,, the scratch in the picture ,,,, if it didnt dig into those traces it should be alright ,, if it broke a trace thats not good at all and the end of the motherboard.