Question I think i've ****** my OS somehow AHCI to RAID ( no drives )

FearSC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2014
Ok so... Originally, my system was booted into AHCI and today i've purchased new NVME and wanted to combine one smaller with one bigger and went to BIOS, switched from AHCI to RAID and then found in options how to combine those 2. Once i've done that, i wanted to go to Windows but couldnt and got BSOD with some error code.
After that, i've switched back to AHCI and managed to boot into OS but there's a problem, I Dont see anymore my NVME drives ( Even 1 drive that is connected via extension on PCIe slot )... SO i went back to RAID, went to RAID settings and reverted everything back, still not able to see in WIndows drives ( Even in disk management ) So, i went like to boot new OS just to see if im able to see it when i want to install new OS will they be there and yes, they are there. So i've formated both drives and still again, i dont see them in normal OS... What is my solution here? I would like either to see them or to RAID those 2 drives.

Screenshot :
t784Toz.png
U71168k.png
pr3LESL.png

Im missing here : 2x KINGSTON 81000G and 8500G
ADATA SX8200PNP

GFTbQwY.png

USAFRet

Titan
today i've purchased new NVME and wanted to combine one smaller with one bigger
What specific drives were you wanting to put in a RAID array? (different size/type drives do not work in a RAID)
What type RAID? 0, 1, other...

And, no matter what type drives or array, you can't just add some new drive and "OK, you two are now a RAID array!" and expect to keep the original data.

FearSC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2014
Those were 2 new drives ( 1 was 1tb other was 500gb ) brand new, nothing on them. So i wanted those 2 to combine and have 1 partition with 1.5tb if that's possible. And what happened is, that somehow that 3rd drive ( that's on PCIe slot ) got also removed and cant see them anymore in OS

USAFRet

Titan
Those were 2 new drives ( 1 was 1tb other was 500gb ) brand new, nothing on them. So i wanted those 2 to combine and have 1 partition with 1.5tb if that's possible. And what happened is, that somehow that 3rd drive ( that's on PCIe slot ) got also removed and cant see them anymore in OS
You cannot do a RAID 0 like that.
500GB + 1TB + RAID 0 = 1TB RAID array. 2x the size of the smallest.
Plus, unless they are the same type drive...you get the speed of the slowest.
Plus, assuming these are SSD's...you get zero speed benefit (which was the whole concept behind a HDD RAID 0)
Plus, you can't just change the BIOS from AHCI to RAID, without doing a whole bunch of other things.

FearSC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2014
Return the system back to completely original condition.
Does it work?
No it doesnt. I've returned system to AHCI and still cant see those 3 nvmes.... Also i've reinstalled AMD Chipset and uninstall AMD Raid controller
And a RAID 0 with NVMe drives may be slightlyslower than individual drives. Yes, really.

FearSC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2014
Ive posted everything UP in the first screenshots / thread. Its MSI X570 GAMING PLUS

Does it works: No it doesnt. I've returned system to AHCI and still cant see those 3 nvmes.... Also i've reinstalled AMD Chipset and uninstall AMD Raid controller

The only new drives are those 2 ( 1x1tb and 1x500gb KINGSTON ) that i cant see in OS but i can in BIOS

USAFRet

Titan
Ive posted everything UP in the first screenshots / thread. Its MSI X570 GAMING PLUS

Does it works: No it doesnt. I've returned system to AHCI and still cant see those 3 nvmes.... Also i've reinstalled AMD Chipset and uninstall AMD Raid controller

The only new drives are those 2 ( 1x1tb and 1x500gb KINGSTON ) that i cant see in OS but i can in BIOS
As requested...WITHOUT any new drives.
Original condition.
AHCI, with only the original drives.

What specific drive was/is the OS on, etc etc....
Details, please.

And we still do not know the make/model of the motherboard.

FearSC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2014
MSI X570 GAMING PLUS

Original drives :
1 ssd 120gb OS
1 ssd 120gb storage

2x2tb HDD storage
1x256 nvme ( on pcie express ) that i dont see anymore

NEW : 1x1tb and 1x500gb KINGSTON

Once i've installed them, they were visible in OS but when i went to BIOS and switched to RAID i couldnt boot my OS so i switched back to AHCI ( windows booted ) but couldnt see anymore those new drives + 256nvme on PCIe slot

FearSC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2014
But mate, im in windows dunno what do u mean by " Remove all and boot up" ?
Im in windows working normal, just dont see those drives in My vomputer / disk management etc... When i go to BIOS i can see them

USAFRet

Titan
But mate, im in windows dunno what do u mean by " Remove all and boot up" ?
Im in windows working normal, just dont see those drives in My vomputer / disk management etc... When i go to BIOS i can see them
I was just trying to get the system back to a bootable state. Which was not clear until now.

Now that we apparently have that....we can move on.

To verify...the system is actually booting and working?

FearSC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2014
I was just trying to get the system back to a bootable state. Which was not clear until now.

Now that we apparently have that....we can move on.

To verify...the system is actually booting and working?

I've stated multiple times mate when i've tried to boot in RAID it didnt work so i switched back to AHCI and it booted but i cant see those 3 drives.
Btw, by any chance, do u have discord it would be way much easier to explain and message?

USAFRet

Titan
I've stated multiple times mate when i've tried to boot in RAID it didnt work so i switched back to AHCI and it booted but i cant see those 3 drives.
Btw, by any chance, do u have discord it would be way much easier to explain and message?
No, no Discord.

There is exactly one of us who knows exactly what he did, and how the system is currently configured.
That be you, not me.

I'm just trying to help, with a systematic troubleshooting procedure.

1. Ignore RAID. Either in the BIOS, or in your mind. Ignore it completely.
  2. In addition to the OS drive, connect one and only one of these NVMe drives. Which one and in which port.
  3. Does it boot up?
  4. It this drive visible in Disk Management?
One and only one.

FearSC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2014
Literally in first post i've uploaded pictures of Disk management that they are not visible but visible in BIOS. Also posted screenshots FROM BIOS where are they

They are located 2x M.2 slots on MOBO and 1 PCIe slot

5th time, i dont have problems BOOTING my system if its in AHCI. Problem was WHEN I switched in RAID and THEN it didnt want to boot and somehow messed up with my drives and once i've returned to defaults AHCI i cant see them neither in My Computer, Disk management or any 3rd party Partition software

FearSC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2014

Colif

Win 11 Master
helps if you share the links.

I have seen drives be hidden from disk management before if set up as raid.
Laptop makers used to include a small ssd in with large hdd, and the ssd would be hidden from windows and used as a cache drive.

I can't remember, is this as intel or AMD pc?

FearSC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2014
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10WDj2vjdC6IVUYK8IRgi9WgEKMuH25Bb/view?usp=drivesdk

Sry on the phone and cant upload like normal person :D

Yeah, its AMD ryzen 9 3900x
So the thing is, i needed more space in my pc so i bought 2 new m.2 ssd. Before i never used RAID entire system was always as AHCI. So, i never thought that i can break something by switching 1 thing in BIOS tbh. Ok so, i've put them in free m.2 slots AND I SAW them for the first time when ive installed them. Went to BIOS, switched from AHCI to RAID, went to RAID settings and created RAID 0 with those 2 drives, clicked f10 saved, and couldnt boot windows cos of BSOD. tried to repair couple of times, nothing, so i went back in BIOS and put AHCI again, F10 save and restart. Booted windows without any problems BUT when i wanted to check those drives, they were gone + my 3rd drive that i never touched that, which is located on PCIe with extender, i went to Disk management and i couldnt see them ( 1st post screenshots ) And ever since then, i cant get them visible in OS. Now, im trying to formet them in Linux via Partmagi, and other tools there.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Motherbaord - MPG X570 GAMING PLUS (MS-7C37)

its possible you are missing the AMD Raid drivers - link to question - but you don't really want/need nvme to be in raid, there is no benefit to it, and since you tried to mix a 1tb with a 500gb, you lose 500gb in the process. I would just use them as normal drives.