I THINK I'VE RUINED MY CPU!!!!!!

dwwnole1

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
I just really screwed up my cpu I think. After I installed my Volcano II, I took it off and noticed I used to much thermal paste. The paste had run out the sides of the cpu core and got all over those gold block transistor things. I've basically have written off this cpu in my head but if there's anyway I can get that paste off without ruining the cpu how do I do it? Unfortunately it's all over those gold block things which I wouldn't imagine could be cleaned off. If anyone has any advice or ideas I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Ok, I'm assuming it's a T-bird, from your description.
First of all, you need about half a grain of rice worth of Arctic Silver (or whatever).
I think the best way to clean it would be to get some sort of abrasive cloth and scrub it off. Don't use sandpaper or anything, but you need something a bit stronger than toilet paper.
Don't do it until someone who knows a bit more than I do agrees with me (or disagrees).

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
according to arctic silver's website, the best
way to clean your cpu is to wash it with warm
soap and water.. I've had to do this myself,
and it comes off very clean.. just make sure
you let it dry before plugging it back in
though :)

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!

G

I did the same exact thing.
I got Arctic Silver all over the bridges and resistors on my Thunderbird. It would'nt boot anymore.
I washed the chip with Windex and dishsoap under my kitchen faucet, thinking that it would never work again.
After it dried off, ...oh yeah I used rubbing alcohol too, it dries easy... I plugged it back in and it works great.
I can't garantee anything, I though it was done when I took the water to it, but it worked excellent for me.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
-Einstein

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I've plummet my previous T-Bird in soapy water before I gave it away and it works fine now. It also had the bridges closed by pencil, so I had to be careful not removing the graphite.

Well to eat your <b>C :smile: :smile: kie</b> and have it too, gotta get <b>Rade :smile: n II</b>

dwwnole1

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
When people tell me to use a lint free cloth, what exactly is a lint free cloth? Don't all cloths have some traces of lint on them?

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Ladies underwear, the silky type. Unless you have a supply of mens bikini type silk coated wedgees.

Well to eat your <b>C :smile: :smile: kie</b> and have it too, gotta get <b>Rade :smile: n II</b>

G

here in australia a company 'CRC' makes stuff called 'ELECTRO-CLEAN' and 'C O CONTACT CLEANER'

you can get these around the world i'm told, either of these will work (the idea of sticking my cpu under the tap was too much)

however, we all start at the end and finish at the begining

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Soap and water is fine. Just make sure it is totally dry. Eveyone's motherboards have been run through what i like to call a dishwasher (lol), trust me its not as bad as it seems.

alphateam

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ya its not the water that is bad for electric circut boards. Its the electricity that runs through that water. A client of mine had a flood and a store room was in about 8 inces of water. Some laptops were totally underwater. After about a week of drying they worked just fine.

alpha

-Alpha
Sorry I missed church, I've been busy practicing witchcraft and becoming a lesbian.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Clean it with hot soapy water. Wipe off any soap residue with alcohol. BTW, if you buff the underside of the VolcanoII, you'll get better heat transfer. I use a regular houshold ScotchBrite pad.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

Use Isopropyl alcohol with a soft cotton lint free cloth. Lint free cloths don't have any lint on them. This is why people use them to dry their hands before putting contacts in their eyes. Those cloths that comes with glasses for cleaning them work well.

Edit: Holy crap 9 years old? So dwwnole1, what did you use?

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
enzo, dwwnole1 last posted back in 2007, I don't think he'll be replying anytime soon...

Please, let those zombie threads crawl back to the graveyard, that someinteldude41 have been digging a couple out...

randomkid

Distinguished
It is typical for new comers to browse through all old threads unmindful of when they were posted and when was the last post... But I wonder.... 9 years seems to be just too old and should be at the bottom of the bottom pages in any category...

:pfff:

The even sadder part is that if you try posting on a 6+ month old thread, there a warning pop up saying that this thread has been inactive for 6+ months.

I would think that would be clue #1 to not really respond to an old thread.....

BradyT88

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

Haha. I had just finished 6th grade and I'm a junior in college now.