[SOLVED] I think my cpu is bottlenecking my gaming performance?

May 19, 2020
Hello!

This is actually my first post in tom's hardware forum and I need some help.
My specs:
Ryzen 3 3200G
ASRock A320M-HDV R4.0
XFX RX 580 8GB
8GB Klevv Performance DDR4-2666 RAM
FSP Hyper K 500 PSU
Lexar 256 SSD
256 HDD
Tecware Nexus M Micro ATX Casing + 1 LED fan

I'm not too sure but I think my cpu is bottleneck'ing my gaming performance hard. Like it just gives out bad FPS for midrange games like overwatch or csgo(60 to 100fps), I will have constant fps spike up and down. And some games I can't run in fullscreen as it will just freeze like HALO on pc for some reason. My thinking is to get a new CPU like a Ryzen 5 1600X or a Ryzen 7 1700x and additional 8GB of ram. Do you think it will solve this bottle neck?

P.s Pardon my english and Im not really well educated on PC builds I do know a thing or two since i play games.
I dont have my pc on me now because of this current situation so I cant really test anything or put any supporting images.

Solution
D
It would be better if you had two 4GB sticks (or two 8GB sticks), that way they'd run in dual channel. Dual channel improves your RAM efficiency greatly. CPU and RAM work in tandem.
Single channel RAM impacts the cpu performance in games. This may all be because of the RAM configuration.

Im aware of this, i tested dual and single channel on my rigs and there is 20-25% performance increase on dual and triple channel (only tested x58 boards) has additional 10-12% to dual channel.

But i was already getting 150fps on single channel in csgo with worse cpu thats why i was wondering.

Im aware of this, i tested dual and single channel on my rigs and there is 20-25% performance increase on dual and triple channel (only tested x58 boards) has additional 10-12% to dual channel.

But i was already getting 150fps on single channel in csgo with worse cpu thats why i was wondering.
Ryzen from the benchmarks I have seen is more impacted by RAM performance. I have not tested myself but it is supposed to be due to Ryzen’s infinity fabric being heavily reliant on RAM performance. There could be other issues in play but without resolving the RAM limitation it’s impossible to say.

Ryzen from the benchmarks I have seen is more impacted by RAM performance. I have not tested myself but it is supposed to be due to Ryzen’s infinity fabric being heavily reliant on RAM performance. There could be other issues in play but without resolving the RAM limitation it’s impossible to say.

I only tested on intel CPU:s different generations, never had ryzen cpu or actually any amd desktop cpu. I might of been giving wrong advice actually downplaying dual / single channel in few threads since there was few with Ryzen cpu. Im interested to see how much he gains from single to dual channel.

TRENDING THREADS