Question I think my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU

Sep 14, 2019
So i have had this Laptop for over 2 years now and i have learnt much more about Computers. I have noticed that my CPU is always at 100% and my GPU doesn't even go over 50%. I am not sure if its bottlenecking , but if it is what should i do to prevent bottlenecking?

My Laptop model is K501UW
It has I7-6500U processor and GTX 960m

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
What game? What resolution? Is vsync off? CPU temps under load?

Cpu usage being at 100% and GPU usage at 50% under load in a game is likely A cpu bottleneck yes, however I would not expect that CPU to hold back a 960m that much in the majority of games. Unless it is overheating and throttling back clocks quite a bit.

Sep 14, 2019
What game? What resolution? Is vsync off? CPU temps under load?

Cpu usage being at 100% and GPU usage at 50% under load in a game is likely A cpu bottleneck yes, however I would not expect that CPU to hold back a 960m that much in the majority of games. Unless it is overheating and throttling back clocks quite a bit.

Well It does get pretty hot when i play games like Fortnite and Warframe, but i have never seen my GPU hit 70% in any games and my CPU always stays on 100% with 3.0Ghz Boost (check it with GameBar very often)

Sep 14, 2019
I have made the same mistake. No big deal.

That I7 is also very power efficient so this Dual-Core allows for a thinner laptop with better battery life.
Also is likely cost savings.
Guess you are right its thin enough compared to other Gaming PCs.
Thanks to everyone to let me find out the worst thing. Oh well time to build a Desktop Pc with Ryzen 3rd gen and maybe Rx 5700

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Guess you are right its thin enough compared to other Gaming PCs.
Thanks to everyone to let me find out the worst thing. Oh well time to build a Desktop Pc with Ryzen 3rd gen and maybe Rx 5700
Sounds like a good idea.

In the meantime, if you turn up graphics settings the load will be shifted to the GPU reducing CPU bottleneck. It wont improve overall framerate, but it may make the games smoother.