[SOLVED] I think my CPU is broken

Jul 6, 2020
I'm thinking to upgrade my device from Core 2 duo to Core i3, so I bought the needed parts.
The moment it arrived, I waste no time to install all the parts and put it on the test.
The thing is, my CPU Cooler is for LGA775 while my CPU and Motherboard are LGA1155, not only that my current CPU Cooler bolts is only 2/4
I thought it will makes no difference as the CPU Cooler works fine on my previous build, so I still use it anyway
When I turn the PC on, all fans are working but it won't boot/display nothing. I reseated everything with and without GPU, nothing works.
Is my CPU broken? If so, can it be fixed? I'm a high school student so I don't have that much money in me, any help is appreciated

Solution
If the thermal paste is spreading on the CPU, the cooler is making contact enough to provide some cooling, but it likely isn't optimal. As suggested, look into getting a new cooler. The Hyper T2 and Hyper 212 from Cooler Master are both good options if you're on budget. Otherwise, a stock LGA 1155 cooler can probably be found for cheap.

If the system is staying powered on but not POSTing, it is likely not compatible with the i3. Even if the socket is the same for both CPUs, the BIOS needs to support the i3. I'm not familiar with Foxconn boards being sold separately and I don't know where you would get support for them. If this came from a pre-built see if the manufacturer has a motherboard BIOS on their site.

Hopefully, you...
I'm thinking to upgrade my device from Core 2 duo to Core i3, so I bought the needed parts.
The moment it arrived, I waste no time to install all the parts and put it on the test.
The thing is, my CPU Cooler is for LGA775 while my CPU and Motherboard are LGA1155, not only that my current CPU Cooler bolts is only 2/4
I thought it will makes no difference as the CPU Cooler works fine on my previous build, so I still use it anyway
When I turn the PC on, all fans are working but it won't boot/display nothing. I reseated everything with and without GPU, nothing works.
Is my CPU broken? If so, can it be fixed? I'm a high school student so I don't have that much money in me, any help is appreciated
you need a new cooler.

What motherboard are you using and what i3 is it?

Anonymiter

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2013
If the thermal paste is spreading on the CPU, the cooler is making contact enough to provide some cooling, but it likely isn't optimal. As suggested, look into getting a new cooler. The Hyper T2 and Hyper 212 from Cooler Master are both good options if you're on budget. Otherwise, a stock LGA 1155 cooler can probably be found for cheap.

If the system is staying powered on but not POSTing, it is likely not compatible with the i3. Even if the socket is the same for both CPUs, the BIOS needs to support the i3. I'm not familiar with Foxconn boards being sold separately and I don't know where you would get support for them. If this came from a pre-built see if the manufacturer has a motherboard BIOS on their site.

Hopefully, you still have the old CPU. You'll need it to update the BIOS. You might as well test it with the old CPU to make certain everything still works. While switching it out, make sure you double check the socket for any bent or missing pins.

Solution