Question I think my CPU is running WAY too hot and need some advice.

Oct 8, 2019
Right now I have an I9 9900K and a Noctua Dh15. I was using a 3d rendering program that uses my CPU and my GPU which is a RTX 2080ti.

In games I reach about 60-64C which is fine. While rendering stuff in the program I reach (Current highest) 86c.

I checked / reapplied the thermal paste. I made sure the fans are directing air flow the right way, I made sure the seating was tight but not too tight and now I am just out of luck I suppose.

The rest of the computer is great, it's a meshify C case. Tons of airflow / nothing is restricted but I can't get the damn temp of the CPU down.

Does anyone have suggestions for a watercooler ?

Oct 8, 2019
What is your current CPU usage when running the rendering process?
Not kidding - 100%.

I may sound foolish typing this because I'm still new to building my own PC, but surely 86c is too hot. I want to assume it's not the program being too demanding, rather an insufficient cooler.

240mm AIO - Would that change anything?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a i9 9900k. There is no 'getting the temp down' as such, the NH-D15 is as good as it gets. For air cooling.

The D15 is a 250w+ cooler. The i9 9900k is a 200w stock, 250w @ 5.0GHz cpu. That's going to stretch the limits of any cooler, 240mm aios included. With the meshify C, you are looking at top mount 240mm, front mount 240/280/360mm, so front mount will be your only viable placement for that cpu. 280mm is @ 300w+, 360mm is @ 350w+. But thats capacity, not just temps. Temps is a measure of efficiency and the NH-D15 holds its own or beats even the big aios, under 250w. So gaming temps might go up a few °C, but the rendering will go down. How much so depends on the aio and it's fans.

There's 2 options, RGB or not. For the RGB, it's a toss up with the CM ML360R and the TT Water 3.0 ARGB sync. The Corsair H150I Pro coming in 3rd.
For non-rgb, Fractal Design Celcius S36 and nzxt Kraken X72. Or, if you can find one, an original release Corsair H150i Pro with non-rgb fans.

Only reason I don't mention the Asus Ryojin is because at $300 you are paying for Noctua ippc 2000rpm fans (finally!) and a snazzy little oled screen on the pump head, but it's actual temp performance isn't really any better than far cheaper models.

For the kind of loads and output the 9900k is capable of, the best cooling is neither air nor aio, but full custom loop. That's a beast of a cpu and takes a beast to cool it. But even a 360mm aio might only drop you to high 70's or so.

What might be a telling point in all this, especially with mixing a power hungry cpu with an AIO is the motherboard itself. The VRM's can only take so much before throttling, which can and will limit cpu speeds under full loads. With the 9900k, some boards are considerably better than others.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019
Thanks for such an indepth response. The issue is that I've spent so much time dreaming up this build that I didn't really even know how important an I9 was until after I told people about it. Each time it garners the same reaction of "Wow, that thing is a monster".

In regards to custom loop - I hear this term all of the time but am sort of unsure as to what it means. Is it a kit, or?

Custom loop is very expensive and you’ll most likely need a new case that has more room. A custom loop has a reservoir and pump with custom water locks for each component.

While gaming my 9900k(OC to 5.0) stays around 55-65c. 1080ti is at 33c with the g12 and x62. I also have all my fans on high blowing some serious air. If your CPU is staying at 100% I’d bet an AIO will help. Like I said I use the EVGA 280 and if you check gamersnexus it is the top performing 280mm.

Oct 8, 2019
Yeah man, I am absolutely NOWHERE near that when I render. Granted, I know it's different gaming but even gaming I am mid 60's the entire time.

If I have a fractal design Meshify C case, will this fit?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
... I9 9900K ... Noctua Dh15 ... rendering ... 86c.

At what ambient temperature?

14 posts into this Thread and still no mention of ambient temperature ...

Members write into our Forums who live anywhere from the Arctic Circle to the Equator, so ambient (room) temperatures might be anywhere from 10°C (50°F) to 40°C (104°F). Since ambient temperature directly affects Core temperatures it can be a HUGE variable, so it's always necessary to include ambient with your computer specs.

If you don't say and no one asks, then Members assume your ambient is "normal", for which the international "standard" is 22°C or 72°F. Without first knowing ambient temperature, apples-to-apples meaningful comparisons are reduced to apples-to-oranges meaningless thermal fruit salad in a blender. There are far too many variables involved in Core temperatures to disregard ambient temperature.

CT :sol: