Question I think my friend got a defective Lenovo Yoga 530... twice

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Hello... so the past few days have been nothing but troubleshooting a problematic little Yoga 530 laptop that my friend got for general use and drawing... here is what happened:

So a few days ago she went and got the Ryzen 2600U variant of the Lenovo Yoga 530 for around 730EU plus insurance and when she got home there were weird issues with the pen, like pen pressure increasing & decrasing on its own and other touch-screen weirdness. After a little while of troubleshooting we figured that it's defective. We went to a shop and they confirmed that this is indeed the case and we got it replaced. Except this time we paid extra to get one with 8 Gigs of RAM because the first one she got the salesman told her that '4 gigs of RAM is good' Yeah right... the poor thing was being throttled to hell just by running Krita (Drawing Software) and Windows 10

So what happened next?
Well the shop accepted a return and even had the kindness of letting her pay extra and increasing the overall price to around 900 EU for just an extra 4 gigs of ram. And this time she got the Intel variant (Core i5 8250U) we didn't really ask for the Intel variant but whatever... So she got home and started using it again, hoping this time that she can start drawing without weirdness all around the lenovo laptop but... there are still issues, and many of them. Firstly there were issues with the drawing software (Krita) not detecting pen pressure at all, I fixed that by changing Tablet API and pressure settings but still the first Yoga had no need for such tinkering.

What kind of issues are you referring to? And why do you think the replacement is defective?
I don't want to overwhelm people with info so here is a brief explanation of each issue, all of which mostly relate to the pen somehow:
  • Random clicks. The pen likes to click randomly on the touch-screen, I noticed it when she was drawing it would suddenly draw random stripes across the screen because it clicked somewhere as she bringing it across the screen... this should not happen
  • Pen loves dragging icons. I noticed when she was in the desktop, the pen would randomly pick up desktop icons and start dragging them across the screen without doing anything, she did not click, she did not do anything. This just happens from time to time
  • Pen does not operate as expected. Sometimes, she taps the screen with the pen and does not lift it for about 3 seconds, that's the equivalent of a right click in touch-screens. But for some reason that does not always work, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.
  • Pen likes to close Windows randomly. When she is generally using the pen for touch-screen, like navigating the web with it, tapping the pen anywhere would for whatever reason close down the window. Does not always happen but it does quite often
  • Annoying hissing. She got her laptop on tablet mode, because the Yoga can rotate its screen and look like a tablet, as soon as she rotated the screen it started making a really weird hissing sound (flimsy hardware inside?) but when she rotated it back it into a laptop it stopped. We rotated back into a tablet again but this time no hissing (Wtf?) so not really sure what happened. The hissing is an annoying high pitched sound and it's really ear piercing
Well that's about it. From what i've gathered so far I am pretty sure this one is defective too... but I am here for a second opinion, what should I do? Should she go back and ask for a replacement again?

Thank you

Last edited:

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
It was indeed defective. She got so angry with the store she got it from and just ended up exchanging it for a Lenovo Legion. She didn't want to risk another defect plus the Legion is alot more powerful than the Yoga. All she needs is a wacom tablet and it's pretty much the same thing in the end.

Thank you!