Question I think my GPU died? Limited capability.

Aliothale

Honorable
Jul 9, 2014
So last night while playing Warframe my game crashed and my screen went white. After restarting my computer it won't post into Windows 7 and get to the login screen... the screen just stays black. I still have video passthrough from the GPU though, I can see my UEFI and the Windows logo on boot.. the computer will even start in safe mode just fine with my displayport cable still plugged into the GPU.

Is it possible for a GPU to partially die and still have video passthrough? Is it possible my driver became corrupted and that's why it won't load into Windows? Both LED's on the GPU power connectors are fine and lit. Nothing seems out of the ordinary hardware wise.

I'm a little stumped. I'm going to use DDU to uninstall the Nvidia drivers and try reinstalling to see if it helps. Any input would be appreciated though.

UPDATE: Unistalled Nvidia drivers with DDU and the computer boots normally using the integrated graphics on my i7 3770k. Still looking for additional information/input before doing a complete reformat. Seems whenever Windows tries to load with my GPU it just gets stuck at a black screen before hitting the login screen.

Specs:

+ CPU: Intel i7 3770k OC@ 4.5ghz 1.3v (4c/8t)

+ CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i AIO Liquid Cooler

+ GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 4GB

+ RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866mhz

+ Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z77

+ PSU: Corsair RM 750

+ Case: Corsair Air 540 (Black)

+ OS SSD: 120GB Samsung 840 (Windows 7 64bit)

+ SSD: 2TB Crucial MX500

+ HDD: 2x 1TB Western Digital Black 7200rpm in RAID 0

+ External HDD: 2x 2TB Western Digital Ultra 7200rpm

+ Monitor: 144hz 24" LCD Zowie XL2430 Switch

Last edited:
If you're able to load windows in safe mode with no issues then it seems the main cause for concern may be windows in general. You may need to run a recovery tool (can be found in advance bootup for windows by holding shift+clicking restart) or completely reinstall windows. Since you can see windows just fine and you're getting a video pass-through then it doesn't seem like the GPU is at fault.

It could also be a PSU issue, but this you can only test if you can boot in windows normally and run GPU stress tests to ramp up power draw.

Aliothale

Honorable
Jul 9, 2014
If you're able to load windows in safe mode with no issues then it seems the main cause for concern may be windows in general. You may need to run a recovery tool (can be found in advance bootup for windows by holding shift+clicking restart) or completely reinstall windows. Since you can see windows just fine and you're getting a video pass-through then it doesn't seem like the GPU is at fault.

It could also be a PSU issue, but this you can only test if you can boot in windows normally and run GPU stress tests to ramp up power draw.

Uninstalling the Nvidia drivers with DDU allows my computer to boot normally and using the integrated graphics on my I7 3770k.

Whenever the Nvidia Drivers are installed and it uses the GPU to take over I just get stuck on a black screen. No idea what's going on.

I guess I could try to reinstall Windows but if anyone else has any info it'd be much appreciated.

Aliothale

Honorable
Jul 9, 2014
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

Updated OP.

+ CPU: Intel i7 3770k OC@ 4.5ghz 1.3v (4c/8t)

+ CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i AIO Liquid Cooler

+ GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 4GB

+ RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866mhz

+ Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z77

+ PSU: Corsair RM 750

+ Case: Corsair Air 540 (Black)

+ OS SSD: 120GB Samsung 840 (Windows 7 64bit)

+ SSD: 2TB Crucial MX500

+ HDD: 2x 1TB Western Digital Black 7200rpm in RAID 0

+ External HDD: 2x 2TB Western Digital Ultra 7200rpm

+ Monitor: 144hz 24" LCD Zowie XL2430 Switch

Aliothale

Honorable
Jul 9, 2014
Anyone else have input before I reformat my system? Computer seems to work fine with Nvidia drivers uninstalled and no GPU being used other than as video passthrough. Could Windows have some sort of corruption that can make this happen?

Aliothale

Honorable
Jul 9, 2014
Update, installed Windows 10 with a complete reformat. Installed the GPU again and I still can't boot into Windows. This time I can't even use it for video passthrough.

I really don't want to chuck this 980 in the bin, I guess I'll have to wait until I get a 3080 or 3070 and see if it's truly a GPU issue.

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020
Update, installed Windows 10 with a complete reformat. Installed the GPU again and I still can't boot into Windows. This time I can't even use it for video passthrough.

I really don't want to chuck this 980 in the bin, I guess I'll have to wait until I get a 3080 or 3070 and see if it's truly a GPU issue.
Could be a problem in the GPU BIOS. Did you buy it brand new or used? And definitely your GPU is the culprit.

Aliothale

Honorable
Jul 9, 2014
Could be a problem in the GPU BIOS. Did you buy it brand new or used? And definitely your GPU is the culprit.

It was bought new around the 980 launch for $570 USD. It's never been dusty and the fans work fine. I take really good care of my stuff so It's some sort of hardware defect. I don't even think it's worth repairing the thing since its only worth like $100. I'd just like to have a backup GPU if something like this ever happens again.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
This might be uncle billy punishing you for using Windows 7. No just kidding my friend.🙏Screen going white is video card related but that doesn't mean it is dead. If you can't get her to post anymore then she is dead my friend.🙈✝🎗