Question I think my GPU fans are acting up

Sep 20, 2021
So a couple of days ago my gtx 1060 started going full blast after a couple minutes of gaming, for the last few days I’ve been troubleshooting and I’m at a breaking point. I hope someone will have some tips.

At the start everything is normal, I load up a game like normal and then all of a sudden one fan goes jet speed. I’ve tried lowering the speed in MSI after burner and Corsair link, neither one affected it at all, but it’s not even getting detected (unless I’m doing something wrong.) so for the longest time I thought it was my psu or cpu. I should also state that if I dont run any game, the gpu is fine and sounds normal, but 5ish minutes into a game it starts. It also will not stop even if my computer is idle for 30 minutes. If i turn it off for a few seconds and turn it back on it will go back to full speed, I have to leave it off for a few minutes to get it to stop

I stress tested my pc and the gpu did get a little hot but nothing major. A guy i talked to on tech support discord told me it was a fan profile issue, however I messed with all the fans and nothing fixed it nor did one show up going an insane RPM. I took out my gpu and the problem did not occur. I’ve cleaned it, I’ve held the power button for 10 seconds while everything was plugged in.

Psu: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80 Plus Gold 650W
HDD: Samsung Evo 80% full , hitachi HDD 75% full
Both the psu and HDD were purchased in 2017, the ssd was purchased in 2019

I’m stupid when it comes to technology and very frustrated at this moment, so if I missed anything or left out important information I apologize.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full sytem hardware specs and OS information.

Include:

PSU - make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

If all is well when not gaming then my first suspect is the PSU.

And with respect to "I should also state that if I dont run any game, the gpu is fine and sounds normal, but 5ish minutes into a game it starts." then that (to me) makes the PSU even more suspect.

More information and detail needed.

Sep 20, 2021
Update your post to include full sytem hardware specs and OS information.

Include:

PSU - make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

If all is well when not gaming then my first suspect is the PSU.

And with respect to "I should also state that if I dont run any game, the gpu is fine and sounds normal, but 5ish minutes into a game it starts." then that (to me) makes the PSU even more suspect.

More information and detail needed.
Hey thanks for taking time to reply, I updated my post to the best of my knowledge if you need more info I can get it later today. However I’ll give you a few more details I discovered last night. I can control the fans speed at first using an evga fan controller, it will go where ever I want it, but if I set it to lock in at like 50 percent. Still within 5-10 minutes of game time in starts up again. I closed my game and tried waiting until my pc cooled down to change the speed back and it still would not work. It legitimately locks itself in full fan mode until my pc is shut off for 5 minutes. If this sounds like a psu problem, how would I go about testing it?