Question I think my GPU is dead but I wanna be 100 percent sure.

PoppaFritz

Honorable
Apr 5, 2014
Hello all, this is my first post on this forum but I come here a lot to read and learn from all you wonderful people. I have recently been having issues with my computer crashing. I would just get a black screen with no DVI/HDMI or any kind of output, some times there would be a buzzing noise and the whole computer would restart. The screen would also some times come back in black and white with a very low resolution after restart. I started off thinking that it was was the game i was playing (the witcher 3). So i went through and did fresh install of everything to be sure it was not the game. I then switched games only to find out that it was still crashing. So from there I did fresh install of the drivers followed by a whole wipe of the computer and a fresh install of windows 10. After the fresh everything for software I ran FurMark bench test to see if the computer would crash. The GPU-Z log shows no data entry for the last two data lines before the whole computer crashed again. I then checked every thing on my mother board and cleaned and reset the card but it still crashed. I have since pulled the card out and am running on just the ChipSet on my MOBO. No crashes yet. I also ran tests on my HDD health and RAM, bother are fine. The last thing i wanna do is put the card into another rig and test it but I don't have one right now. So i just wanted to know if you guys can think of anything else to test or if you would call the card dead and just move on?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4570 3.20GHz
RAM: 16GB Dual DDR3 G.Skill
GPU: EVGA Geforece GTX 960 4GB
PSU: Crossair CX600

PoppaFritz

Honorable
Apr 5, 2014
Do you have access to another PC where you could install the GTX 960 to see if the problem moves with it?

That would be the easiest thing to do. Or, if you had another GPU to install to see if that one is stable in your rig.

No this is the only rig i have that the GPU will fit into. I have two other older PC's that i grabbed from work today but neither of them have the right MOBO or power supply to test the card. I do have some one coming over on Saturday for me to fix his computer but i don't know if he wants me installing Nvidia drivers on his AMD rig.

Apr 1, 2019
I don't know if u have experience with computers but u could try to use the PSU of your main rig to to power the GPU on the mobo from your work PC's

PoppaFritz

Honorable
Apr 5, 2014
I don't know if u have experience with computers but u could try to use the PSU of your main rig to to power the GPU on the mobo from your work PC's
I had this thought, but does not rule out my PSU if that’s the issue. I have no real way to put a load on my PSU like the card pulls without the card plugged in. This is a project for the weekend I think.

TRENDING THREADS