[SOLVED] I think my GPU is failing?

Feb 21, 2022
I have a 1080 TI that, up until recent months, has had no issues running any games, but recently I've been getting artifacts in games that I ran in directx11 or 12. I was able to fix this with a friend help who told me to enable XMP, and this was within the last week that I was able to figure this out and narrow the issue to what I believe is a definite GPU issue because even doing this I am only able to run games like the lost ark in directx11 or another game I play like Space hulk Deathwing enhanced edition will run with minimal issues now, but I tried running the new total war Warhammer game off of both steam and game pass I tried both and I tried all the recommended fixes they had for both versions, and the same issue came up when I would leave the main menu or start a match around 50 to 51 seconds I timed this in the battle benchmark the game would freeze tab out like it was fullscreen even if it was in windowed and the game would be frozen and show up at some random point from the past most of time I would see the SEGA logo appear and that could last as long as 10 seconds and the game would tab itself back in the ground would be super saturated purple or super dark greyscale and there would be substantial black boxes all over the screen and this would persist for a bit then go back to normal and then when if you ran the test again it would artifact my whole desktop and I would have to restart I checked during these incidents my GPU and CPU temp once spiked for a second or 2 at 120c but went back to running at around 74c during these times the GPU during these times would also dip in its ability to work to approximately 10 percent of the 100 percent before from what the stress test told me and what I saw from my task manager. I couldn't Finish the stress test of the my3dmark, but hopefully, it provides some information you might need. To hopefully explain to me the issue and how to fix it and not tell me I need a GPU lol not great with the inner workings of a computer. I would appreciate any assistance. During these instances of freezing, I have noticed that it dips below 10 percent to failing. My CPU During these times will spike up and then down in correspondence to my computer freezing, and then like before, both would return to work, but it does this frequently if the game doesn't crash right away, about every 45 seconds.
My3dmark
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/72360943
my specs
PROCCESOR: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU
RAM: 16.0 GB
Module 1 8,192 MB Corsair DDR4
Module 2 8,192 MB Corsair DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080 TI
PSU: EVGA supernova 850 G2
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z270X-Gaming K5
they have all been in use for about five years

Last edited:
Solution
Still missing the most important information for most questions like this: the PSU. While I suspect the GPU may be failing, it's good to also discover if there is a direct, preventable reason; if you have a junk PSU, you can replace that before your next GPU.
include your complete system specs including make & model of ALL components and their time in use.

been getting artifacts in games that I ran in directx11 or 12. I was able to fix this with a friend help who told me to enable XMP
your system RAM settings would have nothing to do with your GPU acting up so this wouldn't be a "fix" for GPU issues.

this would lead me to believe you either have an issue with your system memory, your CPU's memory controller, or your motherboard itself.

have this friend bring over any graphics card they have and try it in your system to see if any artifacts or game freezing/crashing still occurs.

Feb 21, 2022
include your complete system specs including make & model of ALL components and their time in use.

your system RAM settings would have nothing to do with your GPU acting up so this wouldn't be a "fix" for GPU issues.

this would lead me to believe you either have an issue with your system memory, your CPU's memory controller, or your motherboard itself.

have this friend bring over any graphics card they have and try it in your system to see if any artifacts or game freezing/crashing still occurs.
I updated the post with the specs. Let me know if I missed something as for the system RAM settings. It was a suggestion that produced a positive result first time I've experienced this issue, and unfortunately, the friend told me to try this lives a few states over, and I am not near any friends that I could test it with.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Still missing the most important information for most questions like this: the PSU. While I suspect the GPU may be failing, it's good to also discover if there is a direct, preventable reason; if you have a junk PSU, you can replace that before your next GPU.

Solution
Feb 21, 2022
EVGA supernova 850 G2

Sidepiece86

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
If your cpu temp is spiking before the crashes it could be cooler related. Are you using air or liquid cooling? A pump failing and cpu temps spiking could cause rapid fluctuation of your frequency/clock speed and cause crashing. Are you overclocking the gpu? I dealt with the same issues just recently. Was using the msi mag coreliquid 240r AIO. The impeller broke off the shaft that turns it so the rpm still registered and the pump looked fully functional in bios because the pin or shaft that turned the impeller was still turning though the pump itself wasn't moving any water. Cpu was getting too hot and caused a lot of similar issues to the ones you just described