[SOLVED] I think my graphics card is under preforming

Dec 26, 2019
I just got this Graphics card today, and i believe it is under preforming, there are a lot of stutters. I Got a Rx 5700 xt in game it cannot sustain a steady framrate above 120 fps. And My old 1050 ti out preforms it, please help.

Solution
No that's fine. If you've run it for Nvidia and for AMD, both immediately prior to installing the latest drivers, then it should be fine.

You didn't indicate that you had a micro ATX board when you listed your specifications. If it has only two DIMM slots then it should be a micro ATX or mini ITX motherboard, which the B350M gaming Pro IS, but you failed to put the M in the model to indicate that this is a micro ATX board with only two DIMM slots. I should have checked, but oh well. In any case, if there are only two slots then they can't be in the wrong places, now can they. LOL.

So, moving along.

You need to enable the XMP profile for you memory so it will run at the correct speed , IF it will with those sticks.

According to the...
What are your full system hardware specifications including CPU, motherboard, CPU cooler, memory, and your storage devices where your operating system and/or games are installed?

What is the EXACT model of your power supply?

What case do you have and how many case fans are installed? What direction is EACH and EVERY case fan that is installed, blowing, into or out of the case (intake or exhaust)?

Dec 26, 2019
I just got this Graphics card today, and i believe it is under preforming, there are a lot of stutters. I Got a Rx 5700 xt in game it cannot sustain a steady framrate above 120 fps. And My old 1050 ti out preforms it, please help.
What are your full system hardware specifications including CPU, motherboard, CPU cooler, memory, and your storage devices where your operating system and/or games are installed?

What is the EXACT model of your power supply?

What case do you have and how many case fans are installed? What direction is EACH and EVERY case fan that is installed, blowing, into or out of the case (intake or exhaust)?
It is a prebuilt, Digital Storm Vanquish 7 level 2, i upgraded ram and obiously the Graphics card and im pretty new to this stuff but i will do my best
Cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 six-core
Motherboard: MSI b350 gaming pro
Power Supply: 600W Digital Storm Performance Series
Memory: corsair ddr4 16gb ram

I have fortnite, Rust, garrysmod, Gta v. Im not sure about the fans, the three in the front seem to be intake, and the one in the back is exhaust.

Ok, so that card takes one 8 pin PCI/PEG connector and one 6 pin PCI/PEG connector. So yes, you will use one 8 pin or 6+2 pin connector and then only the six pin portion of the other 6+2 pin connector leaving the two additional pins off to the side not plugged into anything.

Just wanted to make sure you had the connections right.

What is the exact model of your memory kit? If you don't know, you can download CPU-Z, install it, run it, look on the SPD tab and choose one of the DIMM slots from the drop down menu in the top left corner and then find the part or model number from the information populated in the fields below that.

Also, look to see if it says it is running in dual channel or not?

Your memory modules should be installed in DIMM slots that are located in the 2nd and 4th positions over from the CPU. If they are not, then they are not installed correctly.

Also, look on the memory tab in CPU-Z to see what SPEED the memory is actually running at. It will show up as HALF of the actual speed, because DDR memory is Double Data Rate. So 3000mhz memory will show up as 1500mhz in CPU-Z on the memory or SPD information.

On Ryzen, if the memory is not running at it's optimal capability it can have a seriously detrimental effect on performance.

Have you done a CLEAN install of the AMD drivers using the DDU? If you have not, I would highly recommend that you do so. You will want to FIRST run it and choose the Nvidia option. And then after that process completes and you are back in Windows again, run it again and choose the AMD option. Prior to doing either of those things though, be sure to download the latest AMD graphics drivers for your card model.

Full instructions are here:

So your memory is only running at 2400mhz.

Sigh. Idiots at Digital Storm didn't even set your memory up properly before shipping out the unit. I'd like to really use an expletive right about now regarding my thoughts on these prebuild system vendors like Digital storm, Cyberpower PC and iBuypower PC.

So, you need to get into the BIOS and enable the XMP profile for your memory. But before you do that, I would highly recommend that you remove the side panel, or look through the side panel if you have a clear side panel, and verify WHICH slots the memory modules are installed in.

They should be installed in the same slots as shown here for two modules. If they are not, you are going to need to power off the system and move them to the correct slots.

UB6JJIp.png

Also, when you ran the DDU, twice, did you run it for Nvidia and then run it again for AMD, or did you just run it both times for the same option? And did you run it for graphics, rather than for audio?

Dec 26, 2019
there are only two slots? should i still take them out? i ran it twice for amd and the first time for nividia. and im positive i ran it for graphics. and would it be usefull for you to have some benchmarks that i did?

No that's fine. If you've run it for Nvidia and for AMD, both immediately prior to installing the latest drivers, then it should be fine.

You didn't indicate that you had a micro ATX board when you listed your specifications. If it has only two DIMM slots then it should be a micro ATX or mini ITX motherboard, which the B350M gaming Pro IS, but you failed to put the M in the model to indicate that this is a micro ATX board with only two DIMM slots. I should have checked, but oh well. In any case, if there are only two slots then they can't be in the wrong places, now can they. LOL.

So, moving along.

You need to enable the XMP profile for you memory so it will run at the correct speed , IF it will with those sticks.

According to the Corsair memory finder applet on their website, that kit is not compatible with that motherboard. The only CL16 3200mhz 2 x8GB Corsair memory kit that shows as being compatible with your motherboard is this kit which is not the same model as the kit you have.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16

So, it CAN still work, but if it doesn't want to work at the advertised speed of the XMP profile, that is likely why. I'd try though. Worst case scenario, if it won't you should be able to at least set the XMP profile and then before saving settings and exiting the BIOS, go back and change the memory speed to 2933mhz, then save settings and exit the BIOS. If they won't run at 3200mhz they SHOULD at least do better at 2933mhz than at 2400mhz like they are now.

Solution
I think it will certainly help. Let me know if it's not better than before, or if there is obviously still not the expected level of performance.

I definitely think you will find that you need to replace that power supply with a quality unit. However, it will be hard to know what to recommend without knowing for sure what the form factor is on that one. Can you take a picture or post all of the relevant information on the sticker or label on the power supply itself that contains it's specifications? Model, form factor and actual watts/amps specs are needed here and should be on the power supply label.

I assure you, Digital storm doesn't make or sell power supplies, so whatever it is it's either from some other company or it's rebranded.

Dec 26, 2019
They wouldn't tell me on the phone, they said the manufacture them. Then again that dude also told me you cant upgrade to an AMD graphics card because my computer was built for Nividia, even though I have recommended specs. He also told me that HDMI only supports 60 hz, Even though i run 120 hz with a cheap cable.

Yes, that's typical complete idiot tech support talk. Clearly, as usual, they haven't the first fracking clue what they are talking about and this is EXACTLY why we try to steer people away from prebuilt systems, but we won't go into that. You already have it, so no point in arguing the merits of building your own system at this point.

Of course HDMI supports up to 120hz. In fact, HDMI 1.3 and above will support 144hz, IF the display supports 144hz on the HDMI version that your graphics card (Whatever that might be for any given system) has. So if your graphics card is HDMI 1.3 AND your display supports 144hz on HDMI 1.3, then it will work. If your monitor only supports 144hz over HDMI on HDMI 2.0, then you'd need a 2.0 HDMI capable card.

Freesync and Gsync are supported over HDMI as well, if you have a version that supports it. So, again, idiots.

Andy they do not manufacture them. That alone should be enough to convince ANY sane person that EVERYTHING they say is 100% high grade bullsh#$t. Even companies like Corsair, Antec, Rosewill, NZXT, Fractal design, EVGA and most others, DO NOT manufacture their own power supplies. They are made by companies like Seasonic, Super Flower, CWT, FSP, Great wall, Chicony, HEC, Andyson and Delta. All of whom ARE power supply manufacturers. IF Digital storm has their own power supplies, they are made by somebody else, same as with Antec, Corsair, EVGA, etc., except that many of those companies have both good and really crappy units.

I would suspect that in order to optimize their profit margins, Digital storm likely contracts with one of these companies for VERY bottom of the barrel budget platforms to slap their own labels on. Even so, by law, they MUST comply with providing the unit specifications on a label directly ON the unit, so there will be one there somewhere although you may have to unscrew it from the back of the case, slide it out and to the side and turn the unit in order to get a peek at the label IF this is a case that has a PSU shroud on the motherboard chamber side of the case to where you can't actually see the power supply without taking off the right hand side panel.

I would very much suspect that your poor performance COULD be due to a crappy power supply since you upgraded the graphics card to what is in all probability a much more capable, and power consuming model.