Question I think my hard drive is dying

Sep 13, 2019
Is my hard drive dying? It always makes a sound, then freezes my windows, it happens when i boot into windows, i've tried reinstalling the OS but that didn't help? Its a Seagate Barracuda 1tb ive been using it for 2-3 years ST1000DM010

Mohan_27

Reputable
Jun 2, 2017
Do you have any other storage devices you can test to see if that causes your windows to freeze?
Unfortunately reinstalling the OS won't fix the HDD if you know thats the root cause; I recommend backing up anything important and fully wiping the drive.

Also try giving it a dry clean from any dust, if you have had it for 3 years and have not done.

Can you describe the sound it makes?

Sep 13, 2019
Do you have any other storage devices you can test to see if that causes your windows to freeze?
Unfortunately reinstalling the OS won't fix the HDD if you know thats the root cause; I recommend backing up anything important and fully wiping the drive.

Also try giving it a dry clean from any dust, if you have had it for 3 years and have not done.

Can you describe the sound it makes?
It makes a high pitched sound 2 times on startup

Sep 13, 2019
Do you have any other storage devices you can use?

Edit - And do you know if the HDD is the cause of the freezes?
I think I know that it's the cause cuz I have a blinking led when the hard drive write/read so it stops when my pc freezes and my hdd starts clicking every 10s, I do have a second hdd a old Samsung one, it's a pretty good hdd