[SOLVED] I think my HDD is corrupted.

Jan 19, 2021
I built a PC in last summer and I since then I had this problem. I have a 250 GBs SSD which has my OS in it and I have a 1 TB HDD which I think is the source of the problem. Things I download to my HDD like torrents for example come with corrupted files no matter how many times I download them. Also games I download (Doesnt matter where Steam/Origin/Epic Games or just big files I download from browser) alwayas get corrupted sooner or later. When I am playing the games at some point it crashes (probably the part where is corrupted) and I have to verify and download the corrupted parts again everytime that happens. Which is pretty annoying. On the other hand my things I download to my SSD has no problem at all.

Things I've tried:
I used the windows tool to check my HDD it doesnt show any problems.

I have Kaspersky AV which I've completely shut down along with Windows Defender and Firewall and tried updating my games, redownloading them or just repairing them multiple times which still led to the problem.

I've formatted windows and also did a clean reinstall once.

Solution
So today I went and bought a new HDD (the same model) and send the old one to the warranty. I tried everything that was previously problematic and I can say I am %100 sure there is no problem now. So it was my old HDD having a problem afterall even though all the tests were positive. I also tested RAM it was fine too (with memtest and windows tool both). But the thing which led me to think it was HDD being the problem was the things on my SSD were being fine. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.
Jan 19, 2021
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Asus Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060
WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM Sata 3.0 64Mb HDD
Crucial 240 GB BX500 CT240BX500SSD1 2.5" SATA 3.0 SSD
Gigabyte B450M S2H Motherboard
2 Crucial Ballistix 8Gbs RAM
Windows 10

Thank you for replying.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021
I would test your RAM.

AMD recommends that you use Microsoft's SATA driver rather than their own. AMD's driver has "stability" problems.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-250
You are probably right since I just checked my HDD with it's own tester. I did the extended test too so I'll check the RAM now and do the other thing you said.
The only thing I dont understand is how are the files on my SSD can be fine if I have a RAM issue.

Jan 19, 2021
I ran this command.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

Does this mean anything?

SFC checks the system files against the original installation or against the most recent updates. You will get errors whenever updated system files are checked against the original install.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

1. If you are running Windows 10, Windows 8.1 or Windows 8, first run the inbox Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool prior to running the System File Checker. (If you are running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, skip to Step 3.)
Type the following command, and then press Enter. It may take several minutes for the command operation to be completed.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Important: When you run this command, DISM uses Windows Update to provide the files that are required to fix corruptions.

Reactions: Mittelt
Jan 19, 2021
Yes I did it like that. Problem is still there tho. I just redownloaded Cyberpunk today on Steam. I didnt even run the game and I verified local files. 2 files were missing now it's downloading them and they are 10.5 gbs. This always happen. I am sure after it downloads them when I veriy it'll download again. This happens all the time. Not on my SSd tho. It's not a steam or Cyberpunk problem. It happened with BF5 and BF1 in Origin and GTA V in Epic Games too before.

Jan 19, 2021
So today I went and bought a new HDD (the same model) and send the old one to the warranty. I tried everything that was previously problematic and I can say I am %100 sure there is no problem now. So it was my old HDD having a problem afterall even though all the tests were positive. I also tested RAM it was fine too (with memtest and windows tool both). But the thing which led me to think it was HDD being the problem was the things on my SSD were being fine. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Solution
It would be nice to find out exactly where the problem was. Can you show us 20 differences, say?

For example, if a 0x00 byte was misread as 0x02, then this is suggesting that bit #1 is stuck high. If this bit consistently fails, then it may suggest a parallel data bus error or RAM error in the HDD or wherever. Otherwise, if the failing bits are randomly distributed, then it could be a communications error.

Jan 19, 2021
It would be nice to find out exactly where the problem was. Can you show us 20 differences, say?

For example, if a 0x00 byte was misread as 0x02, then this is suggesting that bit #1 is stuck high. If this bit consistently fails, then it may suggest a parallel data bus error or RAM error in the HDD or wherever. Otherwise, if the failing bits are randomly distributed, then it could be a communications error.
I dont have it anymore but as far as I can remember it was random. In random colums and lines I saw both on the start of the lines and through the end same with the columns they were everywhere. And digits were totally different like if one is D7 the original was E4 for example.