Oct 12, 2020
Hello everyone,

Today my HDD (S: ) started to act strange. I realized that a Video i saved yesterday with Nvidea Shadow Play wasn´t there. Navigating through the folders of the HDD was a bit slow but nothing i worried about at that moment. I first expected a software problem with Shadow Play so i updated my Graphic Driver and restarted the PC because of that. That´s where the troubles began. The PC took about 8min to start and the "DiskCheck S:" -Message (or something like that) appeared while Windows was loading. After finally loading up, Windows was VERY slow. The HDD was displayed under "This PC" but only the HDD symbole and the name, but not the storage size nor the bar that shows how much space is left. Double clicking it results in an infinite loading.

The strange thing for me is that the HDD makes normale sounds, no clicking or scratching, just the normal sound of a spinning HDD. I tried to use CHKDSK in the repair startup, but it tells me "Cannot open volume for direct access".

An older PC of mine can´t even load up Windows (10) while the HDD is connected, it´s stuck on the loading page "forever" (it´s quite an old system, so maybe it would load up eventualy).

My day started with me being sad about a funny video that wasn´t saved, now i´m anxious that i lose a lot more :S Is there something i can do or try to save my data?

My Setup:
SDD Samsung Evo 850 for Windows 10 1903
Multiple HDD´s, the one that this post is about is a Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001
Intel i7 4790
Geforce 1080
Gaming 5 Motherboard
16GB DDR3 RAM

English is not my first language, sorry if something is confusingly written, feel free to ask :)

Solution
HD Tune Pro worked flawless and showed me what u can see on the screenshot.
Your drive has overheated before. You have to improve cooling inside your pc case. This probably is the main reason for your issues with this hdd.
There is huge number of pending sectors on your drive (5904 is pretty huge).

Pending sectors have to be resolved.
You can use mhdd (scan with relocate on). Also victoria can help with resolving pending sectors.

After pending sectors have been resolved, use data recovery software to copy data onto another drive (you'll need another 2TB drive for this obviously).
For data recovery you can use getdataback.
https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm
Demo version allows checking, if anything can be...

dimtodim

Reputable
Hello everyone,

Today my HDD (S: ) started to act strange. I realized that a Video i saved yesterday with Nvidea Shadow Play wasn´t there. Navigating through the folders of the HDD was a bit slow but nothing i worried about at that moment. I first expected a software problem with Shadow Play so i updated my Graphic Driver and restarted the PC because of that. That´s where the troubles began. The PC took about 8min to start and the "DiskCheck S:" -Message (or something like that) appeared while Windows was loading. After finally loading up, Windows was VERY slow. The HDD was displayed under "This PC" but only the HDD symbole and the name, but not the storage size nor the bar that shows how much space is left. Double clicking it results in an infinite loading.

The strange thing for me is that the HDD makes normale sounds, no clicking or scratching, just the normal sound of a spinning HDD. I tried to use CHKDSK in the repair startup, but it tells me "Cannot open volume for direct access".

An older PC of mine can´t even load up Windows (10) while the HDD is connected, it´s stuck on the loading page "forever" (it´s quite an old system, so maybe it would load up eventualy).

My day started with me being sad about a funny video that wasn´t saved, now i´m anxious that i lose a lot more :S Is there something i can do or try to save my data?

My Setup:
SDD Samsung Evo 850 for Windows 10 1903
Multiple HDD´s, the one that this post is about is a Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001
Intel i7 4790
Geforce 1080
Gaming 5 Motherboard
16GB DDR3 RAM

English is not my first language, sorry if something is confusingly written, feel free to ask :)
try connect that bad hdd on pc as slave driver, try copy date only....if isnt possible next solution is expensive
take the hdd to an expert who will disassemble it in special conditions, take out the clusters, put them in another device and copy the data

Oct 12, 2020
try connect that bad hdd on pc as slave driver, try copy date only....if isnt possible next solution is expensive
take the hdd to an expert who will disassemble it in special conditions, take out the clusters, put them in another device and copy the data

How do i connect it as slave drive? I thought a slave drive is gone since the IDE days?

Taking it to an Data Recovery Expert will be my last resort for sure, but i surely hope for a cheaper solution :S

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Will try it and post asap :)
Good post SkyNetRising however I would opt for using CDI CrystalDiskInfo and seeing the status of the hard drive. If it is blue and says good or gives a percentage then your ok. If it says Caution in red then backup your stuff from the drive if you can even access it and then put a magnet on it erases everything and toss it in the trash. You must be hearing a click sound if the drive is bad or going bad. If you don't that is unusual but as I said use CDI and get back to us.✝🎗💯👶

Reactions: GIGA_Gurke
Oct 12, 2020

HD Tune Pro worked flawless and showed me what u can see on the screenshot. On the left side you can see that windows shows me the drive S: as "Without Errors and Active". (sry, it´s german^^)

CDI CrystalDiskInfo took ages to start and was very slow to use, but i managed to make a screenshot after some time.

I can´t access the drive at all, if i double click it it just loads forever.

Last edited:

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020

HD Tune Pro worked flawless and showed me what u can see on the screenshot. On the left side you can see that windows shows me the drive S: as "Without Errors and Active". (sry, it´s german^^)

CDI CrystalDiskInfo took ages to start and was very slow to use, but i managed to make a screenshot after some time.

I can´t access the drive at all, if i double click it it just loads forever.
Okay your in trouble thanks for the screenshot. Backup ASAP if you can and Im talking ASAP. Then as I said earlier put a magnet on it which will prune the device and recycle it or toss it in the trash. Im happy at least your drive hasn't fully given up yet so backup and do as I said. Sorry you gotta go through this but those are the perks with a physical spinning hard drive my friend.👶🎗✝

Oct 12, 2020
Okay your in trouble thanks for the screenshot. Backup ASAP if you can and Im talking ASAP. Then as I said earlier put a magnet on it which will prune the device and recycle it or toss it in the trash. Im happy at least your drive hasn't fully given up yet so backup and do as I said. Sorry you gotta go through this but those are the perks with a physical spinning hard drive my friend.👶🎗✝

As i said, i can´t open the HDD in the explorer :S

HD Tune Pro worked flawless and showed me what u can see on the screenshot.
Your drive has overheated before. You have to improve cooling inside your pc case. This probably is the main reason for your issues with this hdd.

You can use mhdd (scan with relocate on). Also victoria can help with resolving pending sectors.

After pending sectors have been resolved, use data recovery software to copy data onto another drive (you'll need another 2TB drive for this obviously).
Demo version allows checking, if anything can be recovered. Full version is not free though.

BTW - Seagate Barracudas are all SMR drives. Avoid those.

Last edited:
Solution

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020

Demo version allows checking, if anything can be recovered. Full version is not free though.
Nice post SkyNetRising guru..... Yes hard drives get hot you made a excellent point. Bad airflow can limit its life for sure I stand behind you lol.✝🎗👶

I wouldn't trust that drive any longer than you need to get your stuff off it.
I have a drive that ran fine for years with 1 pending sector and started acting up about a month ago. Pending sectors started increasing (to a max of 6) and drive wouldn't show up randomly. Got all necessary stuff off it and for the last 2 weeks did constant wipes and surface tests to see how much it could handle. Even through all smart values are fine again, pending sectors are okay and reallocation count is clear, I won't put anything on there that I might need to access anymore.

For a new one I went with a Toshiba, all of their 7200 RPM 2 & 3 TB drives are CMR. For Seagate and WD you'd have to look at the actual drive.

TRENDING THREADS