Question I think my HP Elitebook 8460p just died ?

feralfreak

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
in 2018 or 2019 my other laptop, an hp elitebook 8460p, became unusable due to the power supply failing (it sounded like bacon frying) and thank God i had another machine to use).
I couldn't afford a new power supply, jump ahead to just last christmas because that hp had been left inactive that whole time, and i was given a power supply for my present, i picked one out on amazon that specifically said it was for this model, i plugged it in and it worked fine, for about an hour, then the screen went black like it had no power at all, the caps lock key was blinking white, the scroll lock key was flashing, and the lights that indicate power and battery stay on. i took out the power cord and the battery, left it like that for a full day, and put the battery back in, before i even touched the power button(for all the good it did) those lights did the same thing, and the power button does nothing, i tried taking out the power cord and the battery, holding the power button for 20 seconds, put the battery back in and the lights do the same as before, power button useless same as before.

can somebody help me? its a windows 10 machine and feels like its bricked, id like to know what is wrong and if i can fix it, does it need a replacement part? is that part easy to change(because i cant afford to pay someone to do it)

Lutfij

Titan
the caps lock key was blinking white, the scroll lock key was flashing, and the lights that indicate power and battery stay on.
Seems to me like your BIOS went kaput. Perhaps try and work with these guides:
https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/ish_3932413-2337994-16

Try and work without the battery, only hooked to the wall using the adapter. Speaking of adapters, mind sharing a link to the adapter/brick?

feralfreak

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
hmm, a bit of an interesting development, just for s and g's(im assuming dirty language is frowned on here, so i censored it) after i tried the "hold for 11 seconds and hit power" and "hold windows v and the power button" thing in that article, and getting nowhere, i just popped the battery out and right back in, this time the lights didnt come on. i hit power for more s and g's, and one of the lights on the front came on and went back off, i plugged in the power supply and now the charging light is orange, only light i see. havent tried to turn it back on after plugging in yet

feralfreak

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
i tried to turn it on, still wont, now i only have the scroll lock light staying on, and when plugged in the light for that comes on orange and after a while it turns white.