Question I Think My i7 9700k Died

Jan 26, 2020
My i7 9700k which was within (at most) 3 months old died (I think). When I press the power button, all the fan spins but no boot or nothing, or it turns on for a second and instantly off. I checked all the pins on the motherboard with a heavy duty magnifying glass and all of them look normal. I have never done any overclocking or anything. I turned off my pc and a few hours later when I turned it back on, it didn't boot. I tried clearing cmos, tested ram, tested the power supply with an amd motherboard and fx processor (booted). It's either the CPU or Motherboard and I can't afford another motherboard or processor to test this. I was thinking of buying a pentium that is compatible to test but this is my 3rd pc build and I'm not quite sure if I did something wrong or if this is something common. I searched online and it has all the signs of a dead cpu.

Jan 26, 2020
full system spec? include make and model of the psu
PSU: EVGA 500 BR 80+ Bronze 500W
MOBO: MSI MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC
GPU: GTX 1660ti Windforce OC
RAM: 32gb DDR4 2400mhz
STORAGE: 1tb WD Blue Hard Drive
The cooler on the i7 was a hyper 212 evo

(Here is the PSU link)(I think this is the right one))

Zizo007

Respectable
Feb 23, 2019
Is there a cheap compatible one you recommend? As a 15 year old who doesnt have a job I cant afford anything too pricey as this build completely emptied me out.
The Celeron G4900 is 53$ on amazon.com.
There is the G3900 for 39$ but not sure if your motherboard supports it as its not listed on your motherboard's cpu support list.

grimfox

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Some shops will drop a CPU in your system on their counter to see if it posts. Some places will charge and some places will not. They generally allow this because if there is a problem they can sell you a replacement on the spot.

If you are careful with the packaging you can return the celeron after you've determined with part died. Intel/newegg was generally pretty easy to work with when my i7-6600k blew a core. Jump through the hoops and they will get you a new chip. My case was a bit different because I could definitively show that if I enabled just 3 cores it booted up fine, but enabling the 4th core always caused it to fail to boot. You can't get yours to boot at all so that's a bit harder to prove it's the CPU that is toast.

rickypicky5

Upstanding
Sep 9, 2019
Are all the parts you listed new? Is your RAM on the motherboard's QVL? How did you test the RAM? Do you have the latest BIOS?

The CPU is typically the hardiest component in a build.

The CPU outright failing is rather unlikely...

Were I a betting man, the mainboard or PSU (or a component dragging down the system) is much more likely....(whichever you buy...it will, or course, definitely be the other one!) :)

Good luck!

(At least

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS