[SOLVED] I Think My i7 9700k Died

Jan 26, 2020
My i7 9700k which was within (at most) 3 months old died (I think). When I press the power button, all the fan spins but no boot or nothing, or it turns on for a second and instantly off. I checked all the pins on the motherboard with a heavy duty magnifying glass and all of them look normal. I have never done any overclocking or anything. I turned off my pc and a few hours later when I turned it back on, it didn't boot. I tried clearing cmos, tested ram, tested the power supply with an amd motherboard and fx processor (booted). It's either the CPU or Motherboard and I can't afford another motherboard or processor to test this. I was thinking of buying a pentium that is compatible to test but this is my 3rd pc build and I'm not quite sure if I did something wrong or if this is something common. I searched online and it has all the signs of a dead cpu.

Jan 26, 2020
full system spec? include make and model of the psu
PSU: EVGA 500 BR 80+ Bronze 500W
MOBO: MSI MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC
GPU: GTX 1660ti Windforce OC
RAM: 32gb DDR4 2400mhz
STORAGE: 1tb WD Blue Hard Drive
The cooler on the i7 was a hyper 212 evo

(Here is the PSU link)(I think this is the right one))

Some shops will drop a CPU in your system on their counter to see if it posts. Some places will charge and some places will not. They generally allow this because if there is a problem they can sell you a replacement on the spot.

If you are careful with the packaging you can return the celeron after you've determined with part died. Intel/newegg was generally pretty easy to work with when my i7-6600k blew a core. Jump through the hoops and they will get you a new chip. My case was a bit different because I could definitively show that if I enabled just 3 cores it booted up fine, but enabling the 4th core always caused it to fail to boot. You can't get yours to boot at all so that's a bit harder to prove it's the CPU that is toast.

TRENDING THREADS