[SOLVED] I think my MB is bad. If so, what do you think would be a good replacement ?

iccanui

Reputable
Feb 7, 2018
Hey gang. PC died a week or so ago. It would flick on for a split second then shut off. I went and replaced the PSU with the same one it had before and now im getting a boot loop of like 2-3 seconds. It powers on for 2-3 seconds, the fans run and lights come on, then it dies, then comes back on and repeats that over and over. At this point i have the MB sitting on a piece of cardboard with nothing plugged in to make sure there is no shorts and its still doing it. Sounds like its dead right? Anyway, if it is dead, is there a replacement anyone can recommend ? I dont have the money for a full upgrade at the time, so trying to get it back up and running as cheap as i can.

Thanks for any help, trying to get Net+ and Sec+ during this covid thing so i can get back to work, need this working again. :)

This is the basic spec :

Solution
If the system, while breadboarded without a discrete GPU powers up and allows you to go through BIOS and then into the OS GUI, then the issue is with your PSU. How old was the unit prior to changing it out? You're going to need 550W of power from a reliably built PSU for that system, mind you.

If you're sure the motherboard is the culprit, you will need a Z97 chipset motherboard.

Lutfij

Titan
If the system, while breadboarded without a discrete GPU powers up and allows you to go through BIOS and then into the OS GUI, then the issue is with your PSU. How old was the unit prior to changing it out? You're going to need 550W of power from a reliably built PSU for that system, mind you.

If you're sure the motherboard is the culprit, you will need a Z97 chipset motherboard.

Solution

iccanui

Reputable
Feb 7, 2018

Thanks, yea, i have it running itself the CPU and its fan and its still doing it. Its been wonky for a while. I just am going to let it die and start preparing for a upgrade i think. Hope they pass that stimulus soon. :)

Thanks again.