Question I think my mobo died

Jan 8, 2020
Hello expert IT guys I hope you're having a great day. I need help.
So. My mobo (really old but was working) suddenly "died". I think it short circuited with something in my case when I tried to remove it (into a new case), and I can't figure out how to revive my mobo. It turns on, fans and everything. My psu looks fine. Then, if I have the CPU installed, it starts overheating and beeps short beeps forever. If there's no cpu, then no beeps. What should I do?
It is a gigabyte 970a ds3p rev2

Reactions: techguy1@2
Jan 8, 2020
I'm not sure you should ever power on a computer with no CPU installed in the motherboard. Why did you do that?

What CPU and what CPU Cooler are you using? Computers will overheat REAL fast if you're CPU cooler is not installed correctly.

It is a fx4100. LoL now that I look back, it is already overheat-prone anyways. But I was lazy and wanted to test the mobo real quick before shipping it to my friend. So I set it up on my bench :( god I was stupid

Yeah, so it sounds like you took the CPU cooler off? Make sure when you reinstall the cooler you clean the old thermal grease/paste/compound off both the CPU and the cooler's heatsink. Then apply new thermal grease/paste/compound to the CPU and then set the heatsink/cooler on the CPU and tighten everything up. Don't put too much thermal paste on! There are hundreds of videos on the internet about applying thermal grease/paste/compound.

Good luck!

Jan 8, 2020
Yeah, so it sounds like you took the CPU cooler off? Make sure when you reinstall the cooler you clean the old thermal grease/paste/compound off both the CPU and the cooler's heatsink. Then apply new thermal grease/paste/compound to the CPU and then set the heatsink/cooler on the CPU and tighten everything up. Don't put too much thermal paste on! There are hundreds of videos on the internet about applying thermal grease/paste/compound.

Good luck!

But is it possible my mobo died? When I install it with cpu it beeps short beeps forever. What could that mean? I hope there's a fix

I assumed you were getting the short beeps forever because you didn't have the CPU cooler installed. A motherboard can/will certainly recognize you don't have a fan connected to the cpu fan header, as well as the cpu will likely overheat VERY quickly, of which both could also cause the beeping.

Could it be the motherboard? Sure. But if I were you I wouldn't assume it's the motherboard until I made sure:

1. The heatsink is installed properly on top of the CPU.
  2. The fan attached to the heatsink is connected to the CPU motherboard fan header.

Jan 8, 2020
It is now. I am trying to test it but it doesn't show any sign of life. The fans turned for a few seconds and stopped. Now I am trying that screwdriver thing to turn everything on but no luck. I installed the cpu with fans and brand new thermal paste. Well I did smell something was burning before I turned it off when I was testing the board before. But it looked and turned on fine.

Jan 8, 2020
IT'S ALIVE
Actually my PSU was falty. I used a different one, got a spare ram just for testing and everything went smooth. A single short beep made me happy as I realized it was a successful POST. I then set up a monitor real quick and everythinh was fine.

Thank you very much guys. I am stoked.