I think my motherboard is broken

hardcron

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
i installed it without mounting it because i didnt know what i was doing, do you think that may have borken it? it was bending in all these different angles and im wondering if they are fragile enough to just break because of that?

mace200200

Honorable
Depending on how much you were bending it. Mounting stands are used so that it doesn't short circuit against the back of the case, did you try to turn it on at all? I think a short circuit would be most likely to cause damage.

Keanu Reeves

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
As long as you didn't turn it on without the stand offs installed, you'll probably be okay. If you did, there's a very high chance you short-circuited the board. I did the same thing on my first build, many moons ago.

And as pissed as I was that I short-circuited my board, I never forgot to install them again. It was a lesson I learned the hard way.

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Or if your case is painted or otherwise has some sort of nonconductive finish on the inside, then you should be fine as long as the PCB is not physically cracked or in two pieces. Now you know what standoffs are for, go use them.