I think my motherboard is dead, except yesterday it briefly flickered with life. If dead, is there a way to determine why?

3dprintedwaffles

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
I've been sitting on this non functioning computer for months, but now I have a purpose for it and want to get it running again. The tale of adventure and exploration follows below.

Motherboard: ASUS m5A97 LE R2.0

CPU: AMD FX-4130 Zambezi Quad-Core 3.8 GHz AM3+ (Noticed a few bent pins, got em back pretty straight.)
(Also have a AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition for testing, currently installed)

PSU: EVGA 500W 80 Plus

RAM: 2x G.Skill 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800
(Also have 2x G.Skill 2GB DDR 3 for testing)

1600MHz Ripjaws Graphics card: Radeon HD5750
(Also have an AX5450 1GBK3-SH for testing)

HDD: WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM
(Multiple others available for testing)

So here's the deal.

This dastardly device delivers no video to the screen. About 6 months ago I tried fixing this thing. I took an educated guess (had a good PSU to test with) that the motherboard was the problem and got a new one of the same model. While it did not solve the problem, I'm willing to consider that it may be likely that I made a mistake in installing it because at this point I've ruled out just about everything else.

Yesterday I took another crack at it and currently have it together bare-bones. MB, PSU, CPU, CPU fan, 1 stick RAM (sometimes), and a MB speaker.

With everything installed, I get no video to the screen *and* no sound from the MB speaker.

What's driving me **nuts** is that yesterday, for a brief moment, I got BIOS on screen, and it was glorious. It was after my first try removing the MB battery and reinstalling it 20 minutes later. It was barebones + video card at the time. I shut down and added the second stick of RAM, and I haven't seen BIOS since. Obviously I've tried going back to the single stick with all 4 sticks I have available. The battery trick doesn't appear to be accomplishing anything anymore.

In bare-bones mode I get fans spinning up and green MB light on but no sound from the MB speaker.

Does the flicker of life yesterday indicate that this is something reparable? Is it time to come to grips with the fact that it may be toast? If it is toast my sense of morbid curiosity wants to diagnose the cause of death.

Thanks for reading. I appreciate any thoughts you may have on the matter.

Cheers,

3DPrintedWaffles