I think my new ASROCK Z170 Extreme4 just fried my system

GlassToTheArson

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Here is what I posted yesterday when my issue began:

I just installed an Asrock Z170 Extreme4 today. Upon plugging everything back in I turned on the my computer to find that shortly after the Windows logo appears I get a BSOD with the error code 0x0000007b. From what I understand this is because my SSD is formatted with IDE(?) and the new motherboard is trying to use AHCI(?) I've seen a recommendation to simply switch from ACHI to IDE via the BIOS but the only option in BIOS that I have are AHCI and Raid.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I tried removing a RAM stick to see if maybe that was the issue. When I approached the computer I bumped the OUTSIDE of my metal case and discharged a small amount of Static. I made sure to take of care of it again before I touched anything inside. I removed the stick and tried turning the computer back on. Nothing. I tried reinstalling the stick, pressed the button, Nothing.

My computer will not turn on at all. Please tell me that one discharge on the outside of the case didn't completely fry my system.

GlassToTheArson

Honorable
May 13, 2012

I suppose that fixes one problem, but what about my computer not even turning on?

Hi,

I have been repairing computer for almost 20 years now and I have discharged small and big amount of static to all kind of parts, computer running and everything and I never had a part fail because of that.

Most likely you you have something not plugged in properly or your psu has issues.

Try to power on the computer without any memory in it to see if you get beeps. Check the RAM slot for dust, test with another known working PSU.

Silverec

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
It's more likely that something related to the removal of the RAM is why your system won't boot than a static discharge. Make sure that all the RAM is seated properly. Alternatively, there's a short or something (I once had a screw fall behind the mobo and get trapped unknown to me).

GlassToTheArson

Honorable
May 13, 2012
So, I narrowed the issue down to either the CPU or the Motherboard. I've ordered replacements for both and will returning the faulty ones. The next hurdle is installing Windows 7. I had no clue that these boards don't support W7 without some tinkering

TRENDING THREADS