[SOLVED] I think my new gpu is broken :( (sapphire pulse rx vega 56)

Dec 11, 2018
So my computer has gone no signal randomly for a few days. It stays on and music keeps playing, but I can hear this weird static noise through the headphones. I have to restart the computer to go on again. Today it did it again and I restarted it and I have no signal at all, so I put my old GPU (msi r7 360) and I have signal and haven't got the issue yet. I'm from Finland and I bought the card from mindfactory, so I'm scared of the RMA thing. I don't have another computer to test the card. I'm using Radeon 19.5.2. Also with that vega card every time I boot the computer there are these weird lines going on the screen and then it boots ???
Here is my rig :(
CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K @3.6ghz
GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX Vega 56
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8gb 3000mhz
SSD: Kingston A400 480gb
PSU: Be Quiet System Power 9 700w
HDD: Seagate Barracuda Green 1TB
CPU Cooler: Rajintek LETO Pro RGB
Case: Silentinum Pc Regnum RG4T Tempered Glass
MBD: Asus Tuf Z370-Plus
Fans: Id-Cooling SF-12025 5X
Setup:

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma v2
Mouse: BenQ Zowie ec2-a White Special Edition
Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control L
Display: Asus ROG Swift XG258Q 240hz
Display 2: Asus VS248HR
Headset: Sennheiser GAME ZERO
Chair : DXRACER Formula F08 Black and White

Community

Last edited:
Solution
Luckily I didn't buy a new PSU. I uninstalled GPU drivers twice and installed 17.12.1 and now I'm able to play again. So the solution to this is downloading older drivers and wait for amd to fix this.
That sounds like a power problem at first... The Vega siblings are hungry dogs, so I'm not 100% sure your 700W PSU can handle both the CPU and the GPU sucking a lot of power from it. It should be, but depends on how much power it has dedicated to the 12v rails.

Other than that, check the cables and connections. If there's anything loose, then oof. Tighten everything immediately. And last thing I can think of is just fans acting up.

Cheers!

Dec 11, 2018
That sounds like a power problem at first... The Vega siblings are hungry dogs, so I'm not 100% sure your 700W PSU can handle both the CPU and the GPU sucking a lot of power from it. It should be, but depends on how much power it has dedicated to the 12v rails.

Other than that, check the cables and connections. If there's anything loose, then oof. Tighten everything immediately. And the last thing I can think of is just fans acting up.

Cheers!
I've checked all connections and cables, everything should be fine. What can I even do to the power problem? I won't get a picture with vega 56. I've never had a problem with OCing or anything. My system has never even crashed before??? I can't just go and buy a new PSU because it might not be the problem ;( btw one time it went no signal the card was extra hot??

Ok, fair enough. Lets leave changing the PSU as a last resource thing.

For the time being, and since you mentioned the card was hot, check the Fan profiles and, more importantly, the airflow inside your case. If the card is suffocating, then give it some room to breathe. This is important as well. To check, easily, if this is the issue or not, just open the side panels or remove them completely for a few testing rounds and see how it goes.

Cheers!

Dec 11, 2018
This no signal thing has happened many times. Only once it was hot too, other times it was just normal. I've set the fan profiles to manual and 40% minimum. I've also ticked the no fan mode off. I have 5 fans and temperatures have been like 30 on idle and 40-50 while playing cs:go so that should not be the case. The biggest problem now is that I can't start the computer with vega because I won't get picture :((((

I can't see it at work, but I'll assume it's just a blank screen?

In any case, if you're using a less power hungry card, then it could be the monitor? If you're using DisplayPort for them, make sure the monitors have the "normal" operation mode, as some "gaming" variants try to do weird things with FreeSync. Also, try with just one of them for the time being.

Cheers!

Dec 11, 2018
Not blank screen, weird lines. No, I don't think it's the monitor, it hasn't gone no signal with this card. I'm not using freesync or anything like that because in csgo my fps is fairly over 240. It did the no signal thing with my second monitor too. And still I don't get anything but no signal with vega :D

Ok, I'm a bit confused now. You're using 2 cards for the time being as one of the cards* (Vega) is not working for you and it gives 2 issues:

1.- Vega has no signal and it crashed on you while gaming.
2.- R7-360 doesn't crash, but has weird lines on the monitor.

Is this correct?

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018
No I never have used 2 card at the same time.
  1. Yes vega has no signal and it crashed while i was surfing on the net and playing.
  2. R7 does not crash yes. Both card got some weird lines when booting, but then they go away

Ok, thanks for clarifying. So to be 100% sure:

1.- Vega has no signal now, but when it boots it sometimes gives you weird lines on your monitor.
2.- R7-360 works, but has weird lines sometimes on your monitor.

You don't use them at the same time (I kind of assumed this, but it's important to notice nonetheless).

Given that, I'd start by suggesting 2 things, so reduce the amount of variables to watch over:

1.- Just use the Vega card installed; do not swap it with the R7-360. Use your phone or something else to read the forums if you can while you find a solution.
2.- Use just one monitor, preferably using HDMI. Disconnect the second one until you have the Vega card stable.

As for what to do after that:

1.- Full clean driver install as it feels like you've been bouncing over the R7-360 and the Vega card too many times.
2.- Underclock the Vega card. This will help us identify if it's an issue with power or not.
3.- Last but not least, use monitoring tools to check the clocks, power and temperature of the card. GPUZ is a simple yet very good tool for that. Then you have Afterburner and other GPU specific ones that could also work.

Isolating the problem first is a priority and we can work from there.

Cheers!

Dec 11, 2018
I get lines only when booting, on both cards.
1. Yes vega has no signal now. After the latest crash, I don't even get the lines, only no signal. ( Before that i got those lines every boot)

2.r7 got those same lines also when booting.
3. no stripes in windows
I'll try those, but how I underclock the vega card because can't get to windows with vega

Ah, yes; that's something I forgot to ask or comment on: you are connecting all the power cables for the card, right?

Also, the power cables you're using are not shared with any other components in the system, correct?

EDIT: https://www.kitguru.net/components/...los/be-quiet-system-power-u9-700w-psu-review/

"There are two +12V rails with the second used exclusively by the EPS connector. With only two rails this is the optimal power distribution, since the PCIe and EPS connectors are not mixed together." <- This is important to note and is part of what I'm trying to ask/suggest here.

Cheers!

Dec 11, 2018
Ah, yes; that's something I forgot to ask or comment on: you are connecting all the power cables for the card, right?

Also, the power cables you're using are not shared with any other components in the system, correct?

EDIT: https://www.kitguru.net/components/...los/be-quiet-system-power-u9-700w-psu-review/

"There are two +12V rails with the second used exclusively by the EPS connector. With only two rails this is the optimal power distribution, since the PCIe and EPS connectors are not mixed together." <- This is important to note and is part of what I'm trying to ask/suggest here.

Cheers!
Yes I've tried both options.

Yes I've tried both options.
Going forward, always use the correct connectors for power, specially coming from the PSU. If the GPU has 2 power cables, then use 2 power cables from the PSU. As for which ones... I'm not keen on using the "split" cables as your PSU* has. You're better off using an un-used 4 pin molex cable line with the usual 4pin-molex-to-8pin adapter usually found in GPU packages.

Cheers!

Dec 11, 2018
Going forward, always use the correct connectors for power, specially coming from the PSU. If the GPU has 2 power cables, then use 2 power cables from the PSU. As for which ones... I'm not keen on using the "split" cables as your PSU* has. You're better off using an un-used 4 pin molex cable line with the usual 4pin-molex-to-8pin adapter usually found in GPU packages.

Cheers!
Yes, I've been using 2 cables, but how I underclock the vega, when I can't access windows

Did you try with just 1 monitor now? Also, just in case, resetting the BIOS could be a good idea if you've played around with some options in it.

I would imagine the GPU actually starts as usual and the PC has no strange "beeps" going on, correct?

Cheers!

Dec 11, 2018
Well, magically it started working again (i get to windows, etc.) Though it still goes no signall. You have no idea how many esea-games I've lost because of that. I think it goes no signal when the load is extremely low, like, in cs match loading, desktop, surfing in the net. A moment ago it went no signal on the loading screen of cs and I had to let the GPU sit for a while and restart to get image again. It's weird because I put GPU fans 100%, other fans turbo/hi mode and I took the side panel off and put a huge fan to blow there and still it went no signal. So I think it's not the temperature that we are dealing with though it's like 37celcius here in my room (summer and bad air conditioning). I also put RAM speeds to 2133 (no help) So what do I do now :DD

Dec 11, 2018
And I got to say that when it goes no signal GPU fans stop spinning though I've set them to be 100% all the time. I also noticed that after it goes no signal you can hear the windows sound when you are connecting something? So some weird stuff is happening for sure.

Ok, that's a bit of progress...

Let's see now if it's a power issue by limiting the power of the card by setting a frame rate cap through the drivers. Find an option called "Frame Rate Target Control" in the general options and set it to a low value... 30, 40 or even 60. This will make the GPU consume way less power and if it works with no issue, then you may have a problem with your PSU delivering too little power to your GPU.

Cheers!

Dec 11, 2018
I couldn't make it crash with 60fps... every time when it crashes and I restart I get kernel power 41 to event log. How can It be PSU. It's 5months old and suggestion to my system is 400w :D
2hmk2ds.jpg

Well, the Vega siblings can suck up ~300W on their own, so your full system being 400W is kind of BS to whatever is reporting it.

That's why I've suggested all of this, so we're more or less sure it's a power issue. It seems like it is, unfortunately.

So you have mainly 2 options:
1.- Replace the PSU for a 700W+ with decent 12v amps for the Vega piggy.
2.- Underclock Vega to a point where it does not crash anymore.

Cheers!