[SOLVED] i think my pc might be attempting to overclock itself?? (solved)

mineforce

Prominent
Oct 13, 2019
I built a pc just about a month ago, and when i turned my pc on and started using it today, my pc has randomly crashed about 8 times now. What happens is 'll be using for example google chrome or discord, and my randomly my screen wili go black and all my fans go up to 100%. I have downloaded the MSI Afterburner and tried to use that to set my fans speed to as low as possible, didnt help though. I suspect this might be my pc attempting to overclock itself. I have never had any issues like this before or experienced something similar. Absolutely nothing is overclocked, and everything is running on default settings. I'll put my specs below. Any help is much appreciated.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus Geforce RTX 2070 8g OC
Asus ROG STRIX B450F
Corsair Hydro h100i RGB Platinum (watercooling)
Corsair Vengeance 8x2 GB RAM
Corsair RMX 650 watt
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD

Last edited:

mineforce

Prominent
Oct 13, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Have you checked CPU and GPU temperatures?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
When you say turn off, do you mean the PC just seemed to cut power as if you'd unplugged it?
Hi! Thank you for the kind welcome :) lol. Well my pc stays on, but the keyboard and mouse stays lit stops working and the screen goes black , as well as again, the pc fans going e x t r e m e l y loud. And no i have not checked cpu or gpu temps, or checked bios. Trying to do it but its not easy having my pc getting turned of after two minutes

mineforce

Prominent
Oct 13, 2019
Are you sure the mouse and keyboard stop working or simply that you can't see because the screen is offline?
Have you checked CPU and GPU temperatures?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
Is your RAM from the same physical pack?
ram sticks are from the same pack and placed in slot no. 2 and 4 like its supposed to. And no i have not checked cpu or gpu temps, or checked bios. Trying to do it but its not easy since my pc freezes after two minutes

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Is this regardless as to what you are doing?
If so, you may want to try booting into safe mode, and see if the issue persists after a couple of minutes (if the problem really is that consistent). That can help identify if it is a driver or hardware perhaps.

mineforce

Prominent
Oct 13, 2019
If so, you may want to try booting into safe mode, and see if the issue persists after a couple of minutes (if the problem really is that consistent). That can help identify if it is a driver or hardware perhaps.
it is regardless of what im doing yes. Ok, ill try that. Will update in a minute

mineforce

Prominent
Oct 13, 2019
it is regardless of what im doing yes. Ok, ill try that. Will update in a minute
ok, ive booted the pc in safe mode, still getting the same issue after a few minutes of uptime though

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
ok, ive booted the pc in safe mode, still getting the sam issue after a few minutes of uptime though
That would likely indicate that it's a hardware fault then.

If it randomly freezes,
  • I'd first be tempted to check temperatures in BIOS and see if they are excessive.
  • Then potentially try and run memtest https://www.memtest86.com/ and see if it can find any RAM issues (run for at least 4 passes).
  • May also be worth a clean install of windows just to verify that it isn't core OS corruption (you probably won't be able to restore if your PC will constantly freeze)

That's just the starting points at least.

mineforce

Prominent
Oct 13, 2019
That would likely indicate that it's a hardware fault then.

If it randomly freezes,
  • I'd first be tempted to check temperatures in BIOS and see if they are excessive.
  • Then potentially try and run memtest https://www.memtest86.com/ and see if it can find any RAM issues (run for at least 4 passes).
  • May also be worth a clean install of windows just to verify that it isn't core OS corruption (you probably won't be able to restore if your PC will constantly freeze)
That's just the starting points at least.
my temperatures are 38 degrees celcius/87 degrees fahrenheit. Also, are you saying im reinstalling windows, at the same time losing everything on my pc? If so, i would love an alternative because i would rather not have to reinstall my entire computer.

mineforce

Prominent
Oct 13, 2019
https://www.argusmonitor.com/images/previewscreens/en/screen03.png
Look at this picture. As you can see, there is fan control. And it's probably because your BIOS have set your fan speed to 100% all times. So you gotta change that.
Bios fan settings are set to as low as possible. But i dont think the fans are the issue. I suspect my pc might be attempting to overclock itself for some reason, and so it overrides the fan speeds i have capped it on to keep the pc cool.

JustAComputerUser

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
Bios fan settings are set to as low as possible. But i dont think the fans are the issue. I suspect my pc might be attempting to overclock itself for some reason, and so it overrides the fan speeds i have capped it on to keep the pc cool.
Try to change the fan speed curve. So that it will go based on temperature. Try to use the software, instead of bios fan settings. And you say the temperatures read normal? cause it could also be faulty temperature reader.