Question I think my PC overheated and fried one of the components. How can I diagnose which part has failed?

Aug 1, 2020
Each component is a few months shy of 5 years old.

Motherboard: MSI INTEL LGA1150 H81 V2
RAM: 1 x 8 GB Crucial 8 GB DDR3
CPU: Intel i5 4460 Quad Core Processor
GPU: PowerColor AMD R9 380

My PC hard shutdown while gaming. Pressing the power button did not cause it to turn on again. Touching the metal case I immediately suspected overheating as it was -extremely- hot. I took the side panels off and touching the components (back of MoBo near CPU socket and GPU backplate) confirmed that the temperatures were extremely high.

I let the system cool down with the assitance of a desk fan for around 30 minutes.

I stripped the components out and have the Motherboard with CPU, GPU, RAM, PSU on a test bench.
  • Using the paperclip method between the green and black cable on the 24 pin connector on the PSU causes the PSU fan to spin when connected to mains.
  • CPU Fan was blocked full of dust, I removed it and cleaned it. I re-applied the thermal paste after reseating the CPU.
  • I have reseated the RAM.
  • I connected the CPU, CPU Fan, and RAM to the MoBo, and reset the CMOS using the jumper. After triggering the power using the jumper for the power switch the CPU fan begins to spin and keeps spinning indefinitely but I get NO HDMI output from the mobo. (Verified the cable and monitor works with another system)
  • I then connected the GPU to the MoBo. After triggering the power the fans for both the CPU and GPU spin for a fraction of a second (e.g. looks like they are going to spin but don't).
Unfortunately the motherboard does not have a built in speaker and I lack an external one so cannot test the motherboard using POST.

When reseating the CPU I noticed some of the pins seem damaged: could this be the issue? (I took some pictures and uploaded them into the following album: View: https://imgur.com/a/2hLfvQQ
)

What components has failed? Are there anymore tests I can do to identify it? I do not have any backup or spare components.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS