Question I think my pc restarts itself whenever i left it idle while video game is in foreground

ardhika

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2015
So this happens since last night with no change in hardware or installed software, basically i left my pc for an hour or two while video game is in foreground, i came back only to see my pc is in lockscreen which is odd, but then all of my opened apps were closed, all of startup items are starting to open and windows time is incorrect, i continue play game as if nothing happens and 10 minutes later it completely froze while gaming. And then it happened again this morning, i play game for a couple of hours and had to leave the pc for an hour and a half came back with the same lockscreen, closed apps, startup item starting, wrong windows time and few minutes later the computer completely freezes in game.

I quickly turn the pc back on but the casing light turn itself on and off again, no signal in monitor, i turn it off for a couple of minutes and decides to turn it again and it finally able to boot after 3 minutes, so im not sure which hardware is borked, is it the psu?

My specs are
Ryzen 3 3300x
Gtx 1660 super
Psu fsp hexa 500
B450 asrock steel legend
G skill trident z neo 3200 2x8

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Psu fsp hexa 500
Low quality PSU and most likely a source of all your issues.

For 2nd opinion on your PSUs quality, look at PSU Tier list, in Tier D,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

While for gaming PC with dedicated GPU, i wouldn't use anything short of Tier A.

That being said, i suggest that you buy yourself a new PSU. And this time, a good quality PSU and not the cheap PSU as you already have.
Good PSUs to go for, are: Seasonic Focus/PRIME and Corsair RMi/RMx/HX/HXi/AX/AXi. 550W range PSU does fine for your PC as of now. But if you plan to upgrade your GPU, e.g RTX 40-series, then beefier PSU would be needed.
(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

ardhika

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2015
Low quality PSU and most likely a source of all your issues.

For 2nd opinion on your PSUs quality, look at PSU Tier list, in Tier D,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

While for gaming PC with dedicated GPU, i wouldn't use anything short of Tier A.

That being said, i suggest that you buy yourself a new PSU. And this time, a good quality PSU and not the cheap PSU as you already have.
Good PSUs to go for, are: Seasonic Focus/PRIME and Corsair RMi/RMx/HX/HXi/AX/AXi. 550W range PSU does fine for your PC as of now. But if you plan to upgrade your GPU, e.g RTX 40-series, then beefier PSU would be needed.
(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)
I suspected that as much, oh forgot about another details because lately my power trips for 2 days in a row while the pc was on prior having this issue, maybe it is indeed a time for a replacement since this psu has lasted me 12 years, im getting the 650w variant of seasonic prime gx in case the psu is indeed borked.

Ive been meaning to upgrade to 5800x3d and rx 6750 xt, is 650w adequate?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Ive been meaning to upgrade to 5800x3d and rx 6750 xt, is 650w adequate?

With that CPU-GPU combo, i'd be comfortable using 750W unit.

Your current CPU is 65W and current GPU is 125W.
New CPU is 105W and new GPU is 250W.

That would add easy 165W additional power consumption, making 750W unit better suited. It would also give you some CPU/GPU OC headroom.

im getting the 650w variant of seasonic prime gx

Solid choice. (y) Especially when you get 750W version.

lately my power trips for 2 days in a row while the pc was on prior having this issue

With main electricity grid issues, and expensive new hardware, i'd also include true/pure sine wave, line-interactive UPS into the purchase as well.