Question I think my PSU just died

Mar 23, 2019
I had just started playing a game and the computer just shut down.
Under load it usually runs about 40 deg C at the max so I don’t think the cpu was too hot as i have one of those Corsair coolers and it does a great job.
If I turn off the psu and wait a while then switch it back on , when I turn the pc on there is a split second of case fan movement and psu fan and a brief flash from the Corsair cooler light on the cpu. Then nothing. It would be less than a second of activity.
When it first happened nothing felt hot inside the case and there was no burning smell.
For the past couple of months I’ve had AI suite warnings about voltages being out of range but I didn’t pay much attention after also getting a warning that my cpu was at minus 200 deg.
Can anyone shed any light on this ?
My psu is a Seasonic mii bronze 750w

Tough to say with any certainty. You didn’t list the spec which doesn’t help. If you have integrated graphics then try taking out the gpu and running from the motherboard. If still nothing then I would try a new psu. PSU seems likely given the warnings you had but it could also be a failed motherboard.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The PSU being out of spec would not cause software to detect your CPU at -200'C, so those are separate issues.

If the ASUS BIOS was detecting voltages out of spec, the PSU may have been taking the brunt of power outages/brownouts etc and has been damaged over time.

Unfortunately, not way to know with 100% certainty without replacing components.

Mar 23, 2019
Tough to say with any certainty. You didn’t list the spec which doesn’t help. If you have integrated graphics then try taking out the gpu and running from the motherboard. If still nothing then I would try a new psu. PSU seems likely given the warnings you had but it could also be a failed motherboard.
The PSU being out of spec would not cause software to detect your CPU at -200'C, so those are separate issues.

If the ASUS BIOS was detecting voltages out of spec, the PSU may have been taking the brunt of power outages/brownouts etc and has been damaged over time.

Unfortunately, not way to know with 100% certainty without replacing components.

Thanks guys ! The psu and everything else except the Corsair cooler is 7 years old. It’s dual Nvidia GTX 680 graphic cards and a core i7 cpu
Can’t remember the exact specs
I guess I’ll order another psu and try it out.
I really hope it’s the psu and not the motherboard

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's Seasonic. That's a plus.
It's 7 years on a 3yr warranty. That's a plus.
It's a 750w unit pushing sli 680's which should have had a quality 850w from the start. Minus.
It's 7 years old, so has guaranteed suffered some capacitor degradation. Minus.

Chances of the psu kicking the bucket are decent, more so if you've been using OC on the cpu and higher power draw OC 3rd party gpus.

As far as Asus suite goes, that's a debatable issue. On my Asus z77, AiSuite lists my 12v rail as 8.04v. Every other voltage corresponding to bios readings. Seriously impossible. SpeedFan shows 10.04v. Also Hwmonitor shows tmpin4 as 255°C and tmpin6 as -125°C. All of that physically impossible and still have a functional pc. So take software results with a pinch of salt, they aren't always accurate or reliable.

As said, hopefully it's the psu not the mobo. If the mobo is toast, replacing that Z68/Z77 mobo will be nigh impossible for a decent, reliable board less than $150 on ebay. You'd almost be better off scrapping the whole platform and getting a Ryzen 2600/B450/16Gb 3200MHz ddr4 which runs @ $350ish.

Mar 23, 2019
Thanks for the info ! Much appreciated !! I’ll try to get another Seasonic from eBay , maybe a bit more powerful. Hope it’s easy enough to replace !
I’ve not dabbled in any OC for the cpu or GPUs and the system was bought online so perhaps they should have had a more powerful psu in it to start with. But I suppose even if that was the case , 7 years is a decent run.