I think my video card 8800 GT is overheating.

rainynet

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Hello,
This is my first post in here I hope I can get some help :D .

I have Dell XP 630i with Nvidia 8800 GT everything was good till yesterday, I was playing WOW and suddenly my screen become fuzzy and my pc freeze than it restart by itself.

some time the screen will go fuzzy and than it will become black but the pc will not restart so I have to restart it again.

I tried to swap the ram I thought maybe I have a bad RAM but it’s the same, I check the card temperature and I found that it’s around 60 º -75º so I don’t know what is causing this.

Your Dell XP 630i definitely has some disgruntled customers out there, after researching it.

Specifications:
- Intel Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
- 500 GB HDD
- 4 GB RAM
- DVD+/-RW
- Geforce 8800 GT With ATi TV Tuner
- 750 Watt PSU
- Vista Home Premium
- Bluetooth
- Media Card Reader

The P/S should be more than capable to handle the 8800GT single card setup, however age can affect anything.

If I owned your Dell, this is what I'd do.

First, get rid of all the accumulated dust buildup, case fans, CPU cooler, GPU cooler.

Second, if you so choose to accept this Mission; acquire a good thermal compound like Artic Silver 5, carefully remove the GPU cooler, do not discard the 8 memory chip thermal pads and voltage regulating thermal pads, as you will be reusing them.

Clean the GPU die of all old present thermal compound, same for the heat sink base, reapply new thermal compound on the GPU die and reassemble the heat sink to the card.

Though your temps are not excessive the cooler the better and longer it will last.

While you're at it, I'd also remove the CPU heat sink clean both contact surfaces and reapply new thermal compound there as well and reattach the heat sink to the CPU.

You can use isopropyl rubbing alcohol to clean off the old compound, and compressed canned air to remove the dust buildup, do the dust removal outside the house.

And lastly, do not over apply the new thermal compound, you are only filling the microscopic voids, using too much of it works against your better cooling goal.

When you remove the GPU heat sink do an inspection of the contact footprint its making, as I've owned 2 BFG 8800GT and only one of them had perfect contact with the GPU die.

rainynet

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Thank you Sir,
I blow the dust away, clean the GPU and now its working with no problem.
I will try to do the other steps.
thanks again