raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Well. Title sums it up.
I have an old pc that I use for youtube/editing and some light gaming sometimes.
I only played Enlisted the last months on it and my fps lows dipped on red in some areas. So this idea came to me. I started overclocking the GPU a bit to see if the lows will rise. And they did. Overclocked the asus r7 260x from core 1075mhz / vram 1250mhz to 1140mhz core and 1480mhz vram. Everything worked great a couple of days untill while in game i heard a loud buzzing sound. While looking in the pc It came from the PSU fan. Tried pushing it a bit and the noise cancelled while pushing it. But the speakers make a loud buzzing sound while booting into Windows. I think the PSU might be bricked. It still starts and goes into windows booting. Voltages in BIOS are ok. But i'm afraid to use the pc to not brick the other components. Checked the speakers on the phone and they work great. The loud buzzing only shows up while connected to the pc.
It's an old PC but i still have alot of data and use for it. Might this only be PSU related?

Specs:
CPU: fx6300
GPU: asus r7 260x oc
PSU: zalmn zm500-lx
Mobo: asrock 960gm-vgs3 fx
Ram: 8gb ddr3 1600mhz corsair vengeance lp

Solution
Yeah, this is an extremely marginal, old, group-regulated PSU. Using it isn't a great idea; overclocking with one ever is an absolutely terrible one. The best way to test the components now is to use a PSU you know is working.
Might this only be PSU related?
Yes, but :

While looking in the pc It came from the PSU fan
Are you sure it's the fan itself? Normally the PSU fan are completely unrelated to any other issues with hardware - unless there already is problem with air flow so that one fan alone causes high temperatures inside, or that the PSU itself overheats. But you should notice if the PSU fan stop spinning altogether.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Yes, but :

Are you sure it's the fan itself? Normally the PSU fan are completely unrelated to any other issues with hardware - unless there already is problem with air flow so that one fan alone causes high temperatures inside, or that the PSU itself overheats. But you should notice if the PSU fan stop spinning altogether.
The PSU fan still spins but I think is dead or not getting enough voltage? I dont really know. If I push a little on it but still let it spin a little the fan noise stops. I also thhought that might be a broken fan only. But what about the speakers picking up like some kind of signal. When windows start to boot the buzzing intensifies. Like static or some sort. I didnt test PC stability because if its some kind of overvolting problem I don't want to brick the rest of the pc's components for no reason.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Yeah, this is an extremely marginal, old, group-regulated PSU. Using it isn't a great idea; overclocking with one ever is an absolutely terrible one. The best way to test the components now is to use a PSU you know is working.
Yeah. Well the PC from what i've seen might start as normal. I hope is just the psu that's bricked and the speakers problem is the cross talk and not the mobo. Might test with another PSU. And i'll search for a new one. Whould a seasonic/corsair 550 -600w 80+ bronze/silver psus hold the pc and the gpu oc ? I don't want to spend unnecessary money on an old pc. Thanks for the replys guys.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Update. From the budget im willing to spend on the PSU I can get one of the following:
Corsair RM550x 80+ Gold or the Corsair VS650 (2018) 80+ White
They are pretty much close in price in my country.
I know for sure my system wont use more than 400w , i think the calculator rated it something like 330w all system components. But what PSU is better and will it hold the OC on the GPU?
Note: i only oc'd the gpu in radeon for a specific game. The rest of the time I had it running at stock.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Update. From the budget im willing to spend on the PSU I can get one of the following:
Corsair RM550x 80+ Gold or the Corsair VS650 (2018) 80+ White
They are pretty much close in price in my country.
I know for sure my system wont use more than 400w , i think the calculator rated it something like 330w all system components. But what PSU is better and will it hold the OC on the GPU?
Note: i only oc'd the gpu in radeon for a specific game. The rest of the time I had it running at stock.

The RMx is a lot better than the VS. They're not even in the same galaxy! The RMx is excellent and you can rule out a power supply issue. If there's bad news in the rest of the PC, this is a fabulous PSU to use unless you go for something like an RTX 3080 on a replacement or something.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
The RMx is a lot better than the VS. They're not even in the same galaxy! The RMx is excellent and you can rule out a power supply issue. If there's bad news in the rest of the PC, this is a fabulous PSU to use unless you go for something like an RTX 3080 on a replacement or something.
Thanks. Well i'll get one , hope I can get it delivered this week. And for the rest of the components on the PC i just hope they're ok. Especially the hdd. But again windows booted ok to login and BIOS , and when i've heard the psu go bad. The PC still worked and the game still ran ok. Just the audio cracked and the fan broke. I had to shut it down only to see what it was.
Again thanks. I'll come with an update.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
While reading more about power limits. I learned that the combined power of PCIe slot + the 6pin gpu connector sums up to 150w (75w each). My stock gpu rated tdp is 115w. The overclock that I applied +6% on core (1075mhz to 1140mhz) & 18.5% on VRAM (1250mhz to 1480mhz).
Could the OC power draw exceed the 150w limit and brick the PSU ? That was without raising any voltage. Also no power limit was on. Whould a 0% power limit the draw to 150w max or is the power limit related to tje 115w of the GPU. I'm asking these questions because i'm planning to put the OC back with the new psu and I don't want to brick this one too.. Thanks!

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Update: new psu working fine. But my audio is broken. Back panel audio only autputs to right speaker. And low volume. And front panel audio only outputs to left speaker low volume. The audio controller might be broken.

Last edited:

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Update: new psu working fine. But my audio is broken. Back panel audio only autputs to right speaker. And low volume. And front panel audio only outputs to left speaker low volume. The audio controller might be broken.
Update 2: Fixed broken audio with a USB sound card (Orico SKT3) , working like a charm. Both mic and speakers connected to it.