[SOLVED] I think PSU is at fault for PC crashing

Apr 12, 2020
So it only crashes while playing games. It doesnt necessarily mean while playing games, i can be waiting in the menu and it crashes. So when it does a random color appears on my screen and i can only restart by switching the power button on the back of my PC. I dont know what kind of PSU i have as this is a prebuilt PC only thing i know is that its 500W and has bad voltages. And one last thing is that sometimes i get artifacts, but i only get them in PUBG and Escape from Tarkov, in Tarkov i usually have a pink light in the corner of my screen, while in PUBG my inventory switches to green,yellow etc... If you need any additional info please say so

Solution
Unfortunately, even used motherboard on EBay are starting around $70 and a new, quality, power supply will run you at least that much as well.

-Wolf sends

P.S. Another test you can try is removing the graphics card and try running your games from the integrated graphics of your processor. This might serve you well until you can afford the upgrades/new core system.

Edit: Here's what I'd look at for a minimum upgrade:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($74.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: MSI H310M PRO-M2 PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Power...
Apr 12, 2020
The model number of your PC would probably help.

-Wolf sends
Im sorry but i dont understand what model number is? is that like my PC specs or? if so i have a i5-3470, RX 570 4GB, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Lenovo Mahobay motherboard ,500GB HDD, 500W PSU, Windows 10. I didnt overclock anything so it should be at stock

Apr 12, 2020
Lenovo Gaming Desktop Page

Take a look at the link above. This lists some of the models of PCs that Lenovo offers. The "Model Numbers" listed here are:

T730
T530 (Intel)
C730
C530

...and so on.

Your PC has a similar model number. It should be on your PC somewhere. Can you tell us what it is?

-Wolf sends
I dont know if this matters but i didnt buy it from Lenovo directly, i bought if from a local PC company here where i live. Other than that i used command prompt to see my system information and i could only find "System Manufacturer : LENOVO" "System Model : 3212BR8"

Wolfshadw

Titan
The model number probably would have been listed on the sticker on the front that's been torn off. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter anymore. The picture of the interior of your system (thanks for that, btw) shows that it's a proprietary motherboard and power supply. You cannot just swap out the power supply. with a standard new PSU.

I really cannot make any recommendations here other that to replace the motherboard and power supply with standard components. If you opt to go this route, look for a used Socket 1155, Z77 chipset motherboard; either ATX or Micro-ATX. Look for a NEW power supply from Corsair, Antec, or Seasonic of 500 watts or more. DO NOT purchase a used power supply.

If you have more money to spend, I'd be looking at a new system (processor, motherboard, RAM, power supply).

-Wolf sends

Apr 12, 2020
The model number probably would have been listed on the sticker on the front that's been torn off. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter anymore. The picture of the interior of your system (thanks for that, btw) shows that it's a proprietary motherboard and power supply. You cannot just swap out the power supply. with a standard new PSU.

I really cannot make any recommendations here other that to replace the motherboard and power supply with standard components. If you opt to go this route, look for a used Socket 1155, Z77 chipset motherboard; either ATX or Micro-ATX. Look for a NEW power supply from Corsair, Antec, or Seasonic of 500 watts or more. DO NOT purchase a used power supply.

If you have more money to spend, I'd be looking at a new system (processor, motherboard, RAM, power supply).

-Wolf sends
If you dont mind, can you explain to me what a proprietary motherboard and power supply is? I will probably go that route you just mentioned. But do you think that my PSU i at fault for crashing?

Wolfshadw

Titan
I can't say for certain that it is the power supply. About the only thing you can do is test the graphics card in another computer to see if you still experience crashes. If you do, then your graphics card is failing. If not, then it is likely your power supply.

A proprietary motherboard and power supply means that the motherboard and power supply are designed to ONLY work with that PC Manufacturer's computer. PC Manufacturers do this to prevent people from upgrading PCs. They'd rather you purchase a new PC when your old one doesn't do what you need it to do anymore.

If you take a look at the main power connector on your motherboard, you'll see that it only has 14 pins. Most standard motherboard come with a 24 pin main power port. Most standard power supply come with a 24 (20+4) pin main power cable connector.

It's like trying to install a Ford V8 engine into a Yugo

-Wolf sends

Apr 12, 2020
I can't say for certain that it is the power supply. About the only thing you can do is test the graphics card in another computer to see if you still experience crashes. If you do, then your graphics card is failing. If not, then it is likely your power supply.

A proprietary motherboard and power supply means that the motherboard and power supply are designed to ONLY work with that PC Manufacturer's computer. PC Manufacturers do this to prevent people from upgrading PCs. They'd rather you purchase a new PC when your old one doesn't do what you need it to do anymore.

If you take a look at the main power connector on your motherboard, you'll see that it only has 14 pins. Most standard motherboard come with a 24 pin main power port. Most standard power supply come with a 24 (20+4) pin main power cable connector.

It's like trying to install a Ford V8 engine into a Yugo

-Wolf sends
soo all in all i need to buy a new motherboard if i want a new PSU? do you have any recommendations for the motherboard and PSU? my budget is about $70-$90 for both. Either way thanks for the help, it helped me a lot!

Wolfshadw

Titan
Unfortunately, even used motherboard on EBay are starting around $70 and a new, quality, power supply will run you at least that much as well.

-Wolf sends

P.S. Another test you can try is removing the graphics card and try running your games from the integrated graphics of your processor. This might serve you well until you can afford the upgrades/new core system.

Edit: Here's what I'd look at for a minimum upgrade:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($74.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: MSI H310M PRO-M2 PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec VP PLUS 550 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $219.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-12 10:44 EDT-0400

Solution