[SOLVED] I think that My GRX580 Sapphire Nitro +, 4GB is going out, but I'd like other opinions

Rick_S

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Sometimes the computer freezes completely. I shut it down, but the top 1/5 of the screen still shows what was on the screen when it froze. The rest is the black of the shut down. It can freeze in a desktop screen, if I step away for a minute. It doesn't always happen. If I am playing an MMO online, it can freeze when the action is going on, or during a quiet time. It can continue to play well also. It can pause for a few seconds a couple of times, then be fine again. Or not pause at all. My system, Win 10 Pro is current. I uninstalled all the drivers and reinstalled them. My other drivers are current as well. The event viewer doesn't show any problems at the time that it freezes, either. Given the sky high prices of graphics cards now, even without the new tariffs, I'd like to be as sure as I can that it is the graphics card. Any thoughts are appreciated

Solution
Did you use DDU in safe mode for your driver removal? Sometimes helps resolve strange issues like this

You can also try booting up a linux live usb like ubuntu in live mode, I am pretty sure the amdgpu drivers are detected and used in the live usb and have very good performance in linux - once you boot up the usb try some GPU tests and see if you get any crashes or glitches and possibly any errors in the logs - if so then it may be a good indicator of your gpu health going south, if not could be some other windows issue and a fresh install of win10 may be a good fix for it

Cheers and good luck!
Did you use DDU in safe mode for your driver removal? Sometimes helps resolve strange issues like this

You can also try booting up a linux live usb like ubuntu in live mode, I am pretty sure the amdgpu drivers are detected and used in the live usb and have very good performance in linux - once you boot up the usb try some GPU tests and see if you get any crashes or glitches and possibly any errors in the logs - if so then it may be a good indicator of your gpu health going south, if not could be some other windows issue and a fresh install of win10 may be a good fix for it

Cheers and good luck!

Solution