[SOLVED] I think there's something wrong with my new power supply ?

Feb 1, 2021
A few weeks ago I got a new power supply, and today I realised I've been using the wrong power cable. I switched it out, and earlier today my pc randomly turned off and the plug started to make a buzzing noise. I switched the socket it was in and it seems to be fine but I'm kind of paranoid that there's something wrong. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot power supply problems?

My PSU is a Corsair TX650M if that helps.

Solution
Sounds like the socket is actually suspect. You probably plugged the 2nd cable into the bad socket and started experiencing problems. Power cables are usually pretty beefy and can usually take more current than most PCs draw.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you elaborate on how you managed to use the wrong power cable? You should also state the specs to your build so we can gauge if you're underpowered.

Also, elaborate on how you switched the sockets(I'm assuming you used another port on the PSU side?).

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
Sounds like the socket is actually suspect. You probably plugged the 2nd cable into the bad socket and started experiencing problems. Power cables are usually pretty beefy and can usually take more current than most PCs draw.

Solution