Question I thought I knew what I was doing, trying to salvage a desktop

jboconnell

Reputable
Sep 28, 2017
I had a system crash and I could backup the data folders from the HD with a toaster. I checked the drive with a utility and it passed Ok. Put it back and did a clean W10. System boots to Intel video 640x480. System board video chip must have died. I pull out an old GeForce 210 card from a scrap box and download the driver from nvidia. loading stops when it is loading and says it does not find a device, do I have to go in and fuss with the bios? is there a jumper I need to move? I am thinking I am overlooking something. I have not gotten inside the box to fuss in many many years.

The reason the resolution is 640x480 after a Windows reinstall is likely since drivers are not installed yet for the graphics chipset.

What motherboard and CPU is this?

When the GT210 was installed, did you make sure to plug the monitor into the gt210 not the motherboard?

jboconnell

Reputable
Sep 28, 2017
The reason the resolution is 640x480 after a Windows reinstall is likely since drivers are not installed yet for the graphics chipset.

What motherboard and CPU is this?

When the GT210 was installed, did you make sure to plug the monitor into the gt210 not the motherboard?
The Motherboard is lenova Sharkbay ver. SDKOJ40700win
Intel i5 4460 cpu

Freepc audit does not find a Nvida chipbut finds Microsoft basic display adapter

When I plugged the monitor into the Geforce card the screen went black. I guess the driver may still download even if the screen is blank. I will try that again.

Last edited:

jboconnell

Reputable
Sep 28, 2017
When I plug the board in while the system is up and try to load the driver I get two messages, First is that the driver is not compatible with my operating system even though it is titled for win 10 which I am running and the second is that the hardware can not be found.