I thought I'd be able to play games on higher settings...

slice0flife-

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
I built a computer a while back and for the time it ran games fairly well.
I recently changed the Mother board, and CPU in hopes it would get me some more performance.
Quite frankly I'm disappointed.

I'm hoping to get some advice on what you all think are the most efficient ways to upgrade my rig.

Here is my setup.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Intel I-7 3770 CPU @ 33.10GHz
ThermalTake frio Heatsink
EVGA GTX 580 - 1536MB
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 MotherBoard
8 GB (4x2GB) Corsair XMS3 - DDR3 1600MHz
ADATA SSD s599 128GB Hard Drive
Cooler Master 750w PSU
ASUS 27" 1920x1080 LED Monitor
Cooler master HAF 932 Tower

Honestly, I'm debating on Replacing my GTX 580 with a 680 or adding another 580.

Can my PC handle another GPU, or would that be wasting my time? I feel like I'm not running as good as I should. Can anyone see any problems with my rig? I'm kinda getting frusterated ;;

Any advice on what you guys recommend to get my computer up to par, would be fantastic!

Or maybe it is up to par and I am just expecting ALOT more than what I should be getting. Maybe I have my
expectations set too high.

Thansk in advance!

Solution

I've got a GTX 660 OC'd and BF3 runs perfect at 1080p on Ultra. The 580 should be quite comparable. It sounds like the draw distance is holding your card back though, if you reduced that your performance should increase.

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
if you rock 1920x1080 and you crank everything up you may need to put a second card in your system, especially with insanely demanding games or newer ones. I have to rock 2 of those cards to max out metro 2033, i just bought my first 7970 ghz edition and will be getting a second as my upgrade from those.

slice0flife-

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
As of now, I'm playing Sleeping dogs, Batman Arkham City, and Final Fantasy XIV beta.

Those are really the main games I'm playing atm.

I've noticed games on max settings, Sleeping dogs for example, when I'm playing the camera gets a little choppy, body movements can't keep up with the backgrounds and I notice the frame rates drop, I haven't tested to see how many it drops, but I even dropped down the settings to mid and Noticing it still doesn't flow smoothly.

I know Final Fantasy XIV beta is a beta and lots can be done to improve the game but I just notice lots of FPS dropping when lots of things going on. I know I'm way beyond those recommended settings and I still get some minor issues.

And Batman, well, When I see the whole city, same things happen like Sleeping dogs, I start losing FPS, it's noticeable... I just expected to Run those games on max.

Heck even CLOSE to max....

I do play on 1920x1080 btw. would I need a bigger PSU if I was to put another GPU also, can my CPU/Mobo handle it? I don't know what kind of Hardware is needed to run dual GPU's

I'm a little rusty on my Computer lingo, please bare with me ^_^

H4mmersmith

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013

I've got a GTX 660 OC'd and BF3 runs perfect at 1080p on Ultra. The 580 should be quite comparable. It sounds like the draw distance is holding your card back though, if you reduced that your performance should increase.

Solution

slice0flife-

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

My old Motherboard was a ASUS P7p55D pro and old CPU was an IT 750 2.6ghz. 1156 Chip.

I'm playing Tomb Raider Right now and having issues but almost playing on max... oh well... lol

plankingdom

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Might sound dumb, but when was the last time you updated your 580?
I have a 560ti and had a similar issue to your sleeping dogs one. I updated my card and it went away..I think this was around the 20th of feb. that it happened to me. my last update was the beginning of feb/end of jan.
The update wont solve your issues, but it might alleviate them slightly.

Latest posts