I took a brief tour of UO today

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Hi. I installed and started a character in Ultima Online today. I've wanted
to revisit Britannia for a long time as someone who dearly loved Ultima VII:
The Black Gate and Ultima VIII. I never did get to Ultima IX because at the
time my hardware couldn't run it, not that anyone else's could either. The
cool thing was, the Anniversary Edition I picked up included Ultima IX and
for 20 bucks I considered the inclusion of UO just a nice little bonus, even
though I know it was intended to be seen the other way around.

I tried the 3D client and it looked like U7 to me pretty much with crisper
graphics of course. That was all well and good and what I expected. I found
the interface a little confusing at first doing the tutorial. There was a
bug in it where the panel that should tell me how to attack did not. That of
course was a problem that required going to the Website to get an answer
for.

Overall, I lost patience with it quickly, logged out and uninstalled. In
fairness though, it was mostly due to laziness on my part and not any flaw
with the game itself. I have a feeling it must be quite good to have
survived all these years, even as 3D first person games like EQ, DAoC, etc.
have taken over the market. I've been playing EverQuest for a year and find
you invest so much time in advancing a character in just one game that
sampling others may be fun but there isn't enough time to really get into
them. And being hooked on EQ I couldn't see really digging into UO to learn
it because I am not likely to have the time to go far with it.

I love these kind of games but was just posting elsewhere that it sure would
be nice if one could move along at a faster pace while putting in casual
playtime hours at it. That way, you actually would have time to play several
of them perhaps.

Just out of curiosity, do any of you play more than one MMORPG concurrently?
If so, which ones?

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

<snip>
Used to play UO--stopped when the Catskills Shadowclan
(http://www.shadowclan.org) branch closed due to the game becoming
item-based, leading to the equivalent of its death. Also, the
constant-inane-expansions-without-fixing-the-old-problems didn't help, and
the 'Ultima Online with 100% more ninjas!' didn't help either.

Ninjas have /NO SKAHING PLACE IN THE ULTIMA MULTIVERSE!/

*...incoherent muttering*

Some day, might try Eve Online, or The Matrix Online when it comes out.
Trials of Ascension (http://www.shadowpool.com,
http://www.trialsofascension.net) as well, if/when it comes out... played
Planetside for a while, but then stopped due to a lack of [in-game]
explanations--it was the 'magically teleported into cockpit of newly created
vehicle' part that they implemented that I/we really found irritating there.

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

"psz" <psz01@cox.net> wrote in message
> "The Triad" <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote in message
>> <snip>
>> Used to play UO--stopped when the Catskills Shadowclan
>> (http://www.shadowclan.org) branch closed due to the game becoming
>> item-based, leading to the equivalent of its death. Also, the
>> constant-inane-expansions-without-fixing-the-old-problems didn't help,
>> and the 'Ultima Online with 100% more ninjas!' didn't help either.
>>
>> Ninjas have /NO SKAHING PLACE IN THE ULTIMA MULTIVERSE!/
>>
>> *...incoherent muttering*
>>
>> Some day, might try Eve Online, or The Matrix Online when it comes out.
>> Trials of Ascension (http://www.shadowpool.com,
>> http://www.trialsofascension.net) as well, if/when it comes out...
>> played Planetside for a while, but then stopped due to a lack of
>> [in-game] explanations--it was the 'magically teleported into cockpit of
>> newly created vehicle' part that they implemented that I/we really found
>> irritating there.
>>
>> --
>> The Triad
>> User of 'Thingamajig!'
>> Refractor Dragon -=(UDIC)=-
>>

> Ultima (non-Online) had Asian references,

References. Not skahing ninjas and samurai.

> and (last I checked) while people were wearing platemail and using
> broadswords in Europe, Samurai and Ninja were hacking each other up in
> Asia on Earth... Why not in Ultima, as well? ESPECIALLY since the Tokuno
> Islands are based on Ultima 1's Lands Of The Feudal Lords :p

Well... there's some point there, true. It still doesn't seem to make that
much sense, if any.

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

hellrazor

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2004

> "psz" <psz01@cox.net> wrote in message
>> "The Triad" <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote in message
>>> <snip>
>>> Used to play UO--stopped when the Catskills Shadowclan
>>> (http://www.shadowclan.org) branch closed due to the game becoming
>>> item-based, leading to the equivalent of its death. Also, the
>>> constant-inane-expansions-without-fixing-the-old-problems didn't help,
>>> and the 'Ultima Online with 100% more ninjas!' didn't help either.
>>>
>>> Ninjas have /NO SKAHING PLACE IN THE ULTIMA MULTIVERSE!/
>>>
>>> *...incoherent muttering*
>>>
>>> Some day, might try Eve Online, or The Matrix Online when it comes out.
>>> Trials of Ascension (http://www.shadowpool.com,
>>> http://www.trialsofascension.net) as well, if/when it comes out...
>>> played Planetside for a while, but then stopped due to a lack of
>>> [in-game] explanations--it was the 'magically teleported into cockpit of
>>> newly created vehicle' part that they implemented that I/we really found
>>> irritating there.
>>>
>>> --
>>> The Triad
>>> User of 'Thingamajig!'
>>> Refractor Dragon -=(UDIC)=-
>>>

>> Ultima (non-Online) had Asian references,
>
> References. Not skahing ninjas and samurai.
>
>> and (last I checked) while people were wearing platemail and using
>> broadswords in Europe, Samurai and Ninja were hacking each other up in
>> Asia on Earth... Why not in Ultima, as well? ESPECIALLY since the Tokuno
>> Islands are based on Ultima 1's Lands Of The Feudal Lords :p
>
> Well... there's some point there, true. It still doesn't seem to make
> that much sense, if any.
>
> --
> The Triad
> User of 'Thingamajig!'
> Refractor Dragon -=(UDIC)=-

Also, I don't remember Ultima 1's "Land of the Fuedal Lords" being
specifically asian themed. "Fuedal Lords" is a term that could apply
equally to European cultures.

HellRazor Dragon

WindSong

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

I was in Best Buy today and saw Ultima Online - Samurai whatever. Looked at
the back of the box..yep, friggin NINJAs in an ultima game! I havent played
myself but would be interested in hearing just what Garriott has to say about
such a thing. Gah...

"Windsong" <yth@aol.com> wrote in message
>I was in Best Buy today and saw Ultima Online - Samurai whatever. Looked at
> the back of the box..yep, friggin NINJAs in an ultima game! I havent
> played
> myself but would be interested in hearing just what Garriott has to say
> about
> such a thing. Gah...
<snip>

*shudders*

[also, insert topposting-related comment here]

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:23:46 -0000, "The Triad" <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:

>"Windsong" <yth@aol.com> wrote in message
>>I was in Best Buy today and saw Ultima Online - Samurai whatever. Looked at
>> the back of the box..yep, friggin NINJAs in an ultima game! I havent
>> played
>> myself but would be interested in hearing just what Garriott has to say
>> about
>> such a thing. Gah...
><snip>
>
>*shudders*
>
>[also, insert topposting-related comment here]

They had to add ninjas so Penny Arcade would like them.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Quoth Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net>:
[]
> They had to add ninjas so Penny Arcade would like them.

Mind you, I /did/ like the idea of the Ubisoft golf game featuring
stealth assassins. :D
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\/////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 03:15:54 -0000, Samurai <Samurai@his.reply-to.header>
wrote:

>Quoth Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net>:
>[]
>> They had to add ninjas so Penny Arcade would like them.
>
>Mind you, I /did/ like the idea of the Ubisoft golf game featuring
>stealth assassins. :D

Of course in that game you are told by a cell phone on your back where to
go and which golfers to kill.