Question I tore a "circuit adhesive" opening a monitor. Can these be replaced?

Furial

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Hi everyone.

Apologies for the "circuit adhesive" lingo, not sure what to call them. I was prying open a monitor for a friend to tighten a loose screw and when opening it (with a butter knife) I went a little too deep on one part and tore one of these circuits.

There's 4 in total and they all look exactly the same. Can I buy these somewhere, and if so, what are they called?

50% of the screen is dead due to it.

Link to busted circuit here.

Thanks for reading,
Tom

That's called a flex circuit. It's like a regular circuit board but instead of using fiberglass as a base to support the copper they use flexible polyimide.

You'll have to google the monitor's model number and look for a replacement board. It'll be specific to that monitor, its not a standard part you can grab from any device. You might get lucky and find a matching piece from the same manufacturer on a different model, but even that is rare. Finding a replacement is a toss up. Some stuff is easy to find other stuff is next to impossible to find. It's probably going to be a lot more work to replace.

You might want to look at finding a used model with dead pixels or scratches and salvage the inner workings from that to replace the damaged part on your friend's device.

I would invest in a ifixit kit if you plan to delve into future repairs/mods like this. And avoid butter knives. There's a similar kit made by Amazon basics for less expense, that's...okay, but quality is worth the money IMO.