Question I tried installing i5-6500 into my asrock b250m-hdv after having a pentium g4400

Jun 23, 2019
My issue when I install the new CPU is when I boot my pc everything boots normally but when i get to my lock screen and home screen I can't do anything and everything is in different colors and nothing seems right. I don't know if I am doing anything wrong or is my new CPU damaged.

First thing I'd do is take it back apart and check the motherboard for bent pins.

Second thing I'd do, if there are no bent pins is double check that the memory modules are all fully seated and are in the correct slots which if you have two memory modules, should be the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket.

Third thing I'd do if none of that is the problem is return the CPU to whever you bought it from with a note saying thanks for nothing, because it's likely there is a problem with it if you bought it on the used market from an unknown seller.

Were you having unexplained problems with this system BEFORE installing that CPU?

Do you have the most recent motherboard BIOS version installed?

Have you pulled out the graphics card and reseated it, along with ALL of the motherboard power connections? Did you connect the 4 in EPS power connector to the motherboard above and to the upper left of the CPU socket?

Does the G4400 work normally if you put that back in?

Jun 23, 2019
First thing I'd do is take it back apart and check the motherboard for bent pins.

Second thing I'd do, if there are no bent pins is double check that the memory modules are all fully seated and are in the correct slots which if you have two memory modules, should be the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket.

Third thing I'd do if none of that is the problem is return the CPU to whever you bought it from with a note saying thanks for nothing, because it's likely there is a problem with it if you bought it on the used market from an unknown seller.

Were you having unexplained problems with this system BEFORE installing that CPU?

Do you have the most recent motherboard BIOS version installed?

Have you pulled out the graphics card and reseated it, along with ALL of the motherboard power connections? Did you connect the 4 in EPS power connector to the motherboard above and to the upper left of the CPU socket?

Does the G4400 work normally if you put that back in?
Thank you for responding and everything with the mobo is fine because originally when i got the cpu i had bent a pin when installing the cpu so the mobo is new amd everything is seated in and the power supply is plugged in correctly. My pentium g4400 works perfectly fine and everything else worls fine. One of my hypohesis's was maybe i dont have the right bios version for my mobo because i am just using whatever bios version it has coming from the factory. I did buy the CPU off of ebay so that could be my problem right there.

Jun 23, 2019
If you HAD a bent pin, did you run the system that way before realizing that you HAD a bent pin?
My apologies for not stating before that the bent pin was on the old mother board before i bought a new one and when i got the new mother board the same thing occured with the problem i described but everything works fine now with my pentium. I dont know if the cpu is damaged or if i need to update my bios my main concern is what is updating my bios going to do and if everything will work fine after i update it and if the i5 still doesnt work can i go back to my pentium.

So the i5 was never installed into the OLD motherboard and attempted to be run, before you bought the new motherboard?

Yes, the G4400 will run fine in the new motherboard, so long as there is nothing wrong with anything else. If the motherboard and the rest of the hardware is good, then it will be fine. If it does not run with the G4400 installed, then the i5 is probably fine and there is something else going on. I'd suggest that you try that in order to eliminate some possibilities.

A new CPU brings a new iGPU as well, so, you might need to reset/clear CMOS, and/or reinstall chipset drivers; try deleting CPU instances in device manager, and hitting reset, and allowing the hardware to be redetected....

Rebooting with new CPU and hoping for the best often works,.... but, just as often does not...

Jun 23, 2019
So the i5 was never installed into the OLD motherboard and attempted to be run, before you bought the new motherboard?

Yes, the G4400 will run fine in the new motherboard, so long as there is nothing wrong with anything else. If the motherboard and the rest of the hardware is good, then it will be fine. If it does not run with the G4400 installed, then the i5 is probably fine and there is something else going on. I'd suggest that you try that in order to eliminate some possibilities.
I installed it into my old one and got the same type of result that i described but in the midst of everything thats when i bent the pin and thats why i ordered the new mobo. So right now i am updating my bios to see if that works.

If you ran that CPU in a motherboard that had a bent pin, then it could be anything. CPU could be fried. Hopefully that's not the case, but when there's a bent pin lots of things are possible.

Hopefully you'll figure it out, but again, I'd try the G4400 in your new board. If it works, and the i5 doesn't, then there is something wrong with the i5. That motherboard came out AFTER that CPU, so it should already have support for the i5-6500 from day one without having to update the BIOS at all.

Jun 23, 2019
Thank you all for the help i have listened to all of the recommendations and i have tried everything suggested and I have come to the conclusion that the i5 is damaged and does not work correctly.