[SOLVED] I tried to fix my friend's PC and now my PC has the same problem.

Feb 16, 2020
My friend's PC suddenly stopped displaying to the screen (no video signal), the PC turns on but it doesn't turn off when holding down the power button (the LEDs in the PC keep flashing). So I put my PSU into his PC but it didn't work (same as before) but when I put the PSU back into my PC it ruined my PC as well. No display, it turns on but I can't turn it off (same as his). I tried it with a third PSU but it still doesn't work. So somehow his PC ruined my PSU and when I put it back into my PC it ruined my PC as well? Is that even possible? I'm in total shock right now.

Solution
Looks like you need to reinstall Windows from a USB.

Use your other now working PC to create a Windows installer.

I'd also put the latest BIOS update for the broken PC on a USB and try updating.
OK, let's work through a few things. First, what are the specs of the two PCs here?

What other steps, if any, have you tried beyond changing PSUs?

Consider resetting the BIOS by way of removing the round coin cell battery with the PC unplugged for a minute or two, and removing and replacing all RAM. Remove all non-essential components and cables (SATA, USB headers). If either system supports integrated graphics remove GPU (if present) and run off that.

Feb 16, 2020
OK, let's work through a few things. First, what are the specs of the two PCs here?

What other steps, if any, have you tried beyond changing PSUs?

Consider resetting the BIOS by way of removing the round coin cell battery with the PC unplugged for a minute or two, and removing and replacing all RAM. Remove all non-essential components and cables (SATA, USB headers). If either system supports integrated graphics remove GPU (if present) and run off that.

These are very similar budget PC's both have AMD Ryzen 3 2200G and we're both using the CPU's integrated graphics, my motherboard is GIGABYTE B450M DS3H, his motherboard is also GIGABYTE but it's different model. Both have 8 gigs of RAM they're also different (mine are HYPERX FURY 2x4). I have an SSD he has HDD. PSUs are also different (they're both cheap no name brands).

My PC was working perfectly fine I just took out my PSU and hooked it up to my friend's PC to see if it's a PSU issue, it didn't work so I put it back into my PC and now my PC has the same issues as his.

Feb 16, 2020
My friend's PC suddenly stopped displaying to the screen (no video signal), the PC turns on but it doesn't turn off when holding down the power button (the LEDs in the PC keep flashing). So I put my PSU into his PC but it didn't work (same as before) but when I put the PSU back into my PC it ruined my PC as well. No display, it turns on but I can't turn it off (same as his). I tried it with a third PSU but it still doesn't work. So somehow his PC ruined my PSU and when I put it back into my PC it ruined my PC as well? Is that even possible? I'm in total shock right now.

UPDATE: So I've tried everything I could to fix my PC: disconnecting & reconnecting everything, removing BIOS battery, resetting CMOS, trying new PSU, trying different monitor. I restarted my PC a million times after every little change and nothing worked . And lo and behold when I turned it on just now it randomly works . It just works. I have no idea what's going on. I didn't change anything on it in a while it just suddenly decided to work.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020
Ok, so now my PC is working fine but my friend's PC still doesn't work. After fiddling around with it it now manages to display the boot up screen and I can get into the BIOS. But it still doesn't boot into Windows I just get no video signal on monitor. And when I hit random buttons on the keyboard it restarts the PC. I also tried repairing/reinstalling/ booting Windows in safe mode but nothing works, I just get no signal. I also tried resetting BIOS, no dice. Something weird is going I've never seen anything like this before. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020
Is there stuff on your friends PC that he doesn't want to lose? That is, pictures, documents, etc? If he's OK with deleting that in the process of formatting and re-installing Windows, try that.

The installer can be downloaded to a flash drive (8GB or more) from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I already tried that. I always get no display signal when it tries booting into Windows. But it's still better than before. Before this I couldn't even get into the BIOS. It didn't display anything. First I thought that maybe the PSU connectors or the motherboard pins are messed up somehow but as far as I can tell they are fine. Anyway It's late for me (I live in Europe). Tomorrow I'll try to fix it again if it still doesn't work I'll post a video here so you can see more clearly what the problem is.

Hello again. So my PC was working fine for a few days now it's doing the same thing again. Check out the video.
If the motherboard is under warranty, have it replaced.
I would also try buying a good quality psu because that could have cause the problem to begin with his psu shorted his pc then when you plugged your psu in the shorted tower shorted your psu to and is no longer sending proper volts psu are nothing to skimp out on trust me learned the hard way a few times

Feb 16, 2020
I would also try buying a good quality psu because that could have cause the problem to begin with his psu shorted his pc then when you plugged your psu in the shorted tower shorted your psu to and is no longer sending proper volts psu are nothing to skimp out on trust me learned the hard way a few times
That makes sense. So what now? Do I need to replace everything or just the PSU and motherboard?

Feb 16, 2020
Okay so I switched RAM slots and my PC is working again (I doubt it will last very long). I uploaded a video about my friend's PC. When booting into Windows I get no video input on monitor. This PC only has 2 RAM slots so the same trick won't work.