I tried to reset my windows 10 computer and it failed so now I have a black screen.

DillonGB

Commendable
Nov 22, 2016
I decided I wanted to start fresh on my windows 10 desktop so I used the feature in the settings that lets you reset. I chose to remove everything and let it run. Around 30% it suddenly stopped and took me to a blue screen with some options. Since I didn't know what to choose I chose to go back to my computer. I then had a black screen (by black screen I mean the monitor is on and working fine but it is still black). I tried force shutting it down and turning it back on and it will start to boot up and then black screen again. Help is much appreciated because I would rather not lose it to a computer shop for a while.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Solution

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Really simple, your botched reset left the machine with a broken Boot Manager. You'll need to just do a clean install of the OS and it will replace the broken Boot Manager with a new one. You'll be ready to rock and roll.

Just make sure that you install a disk imager or snapshot tool. Instead of doing the reset route, you can capture the computers state and just restore to it. I use RollBack Rx to do just that.