[SOLVED] I updated my BIOS and now weird things are happening ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
Before this, I had no issues with my pc for over a year, all running fine.

Basically I went on the asus website and saw that my bios (Which was at version 3801) is quite outdated now and the newest version is 4201.
I have already updated to the newest chipset driver from the amd website about a week ago, i haven't had problems before or after that chipset driver update, the problems started when I updated my BIOS and then the audio drivers right after.

1) I got a usb flash drive, formated it and downloaded the new bios and put the C8H.CAP file on the flash drive.

2) I restarted my pc, set all of my bios settings to default and restarted again.

3) Once I got back into the bios screen, I have put the flash drive in the USB slot labelled "BIOS" on the back of the motherboard.

4) When my pc restarted after the BIOS update, I went into bios again and loaded all of my settings from a profile that I have saved saved.

5) When I got back into windows I noticed that despite me loading my profile in the bios and saving, in the task manager it said the ram is still at 2133mhz, so I just restarted, went into bios, bios said my ram was already at 3200mhz so i exited without making any changes, I went into windows again and the task manager said the ram is at 3200mhz which was a bit weird.

6) I went on my motherboards driver page and downloaded the newest audio drivers that I saw.

7) I restarted my pc and got put on a blue screen, but it wasn't the bluescreen with a sad face, it was the one that just said something along the lines of I need to do recovery (really sorry i cant remember what exactly it said) but I clicked the option that said "bring me into the recovery environment" and when I did that the screen was just black.

8) I restarted and I was shown a black screen that said "WARNING!!! BIOS RECOVERY HAS BEEN DETECTED"

9) Restarted again by holding down the power button and I was taken into windows normally like if nothing ever happened, just that it said that apparently it booted into safe mode but I still had access to everything like if it wasn't actually safe mode. Then I restarted from within windows and was shown on the bios loading screen that its starting some process of repairing.

10) I cant remember exactly the order of what was happening from here, but basically my monitor was black on bootup and motherboard showed error code 02, I turned off the pc by holding down the power button, and turned off the power supply on the back, left the pc with no power for 2 minutes.

11) I switched my power supply back on, turned on the PC and when I did that my monitor was black and motherboard showed error code 22, so I held down the power button, and now I'm back in windows typing all this out to find help on what I should do as I'm quite sure that when I restart it's gonna do some crazy stuff again.

I'm really sorry for that massive wall of text, I wanted to say exactly what I did step by step so that hopefully it will be easier to find a solution.

Solution
FINAL UPDATE

I was able to resolve the issue with bootups by removing the memory DOCP profile (aka XMP). It seems like for whatever reason any BIOS version above the 3801 causes issues with XMP profiles on ram, so if someone is having the same issue and they need a temporary solution for the bootup issues, just set your ram to default speeds (which means if the RAM is rated 3200Mhz, it should run at the ddr4 default which would be 2133Mhz).

Now I didn't see that as a solution because I was basically running my ram at much slower frequencies than it should be able to run, so from there I had 2 options:

1. Downgrade the BIOS to version 3801 that had no issues with running the ram at advertised speeds with the 3900x...

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
I forgot to add the specs:

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
GPU: MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X
AIO: NZXT Kraken X62
RAM: Corsair RGB Pro 4x8GB @3200MHz
MOBO: Asus X570 Crosshair Ⅷ Hero
PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ

Lutfij

Titan
Pulling the specs from your sig space in case your sig space changes over time, rendering this thread moot to the person in the same boat as you.

Your specs;

If I were you, I'd have tried updating to BIOS version 4006 and then after successfully being on 4006, work my way up to 4801. Often times a jump to the latest BIOS version can go sideways. In hindsight, you did all the steps properly, and you didn't get onboard BIOS version 3905, which was A.G.E.S.A code 1.2.0.5, that was the dreaded update that ruined a lot of platforms.

Just to be sure, you're on the latest BISO version 4801? If so, power down the system, disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery for 30 minutes before replacing. Remove the pen drive that was used to update the BIOS and then try powering up with defaults, but make sure you're not in CSM mode in BIOS.

Reactions: Flame1

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
Pulling the specs from your sig space in case your sig space changes over time, rendering this thread moot to the person in the same boat as you.

Your specs;

If I were you, I'd have tried updating to BIOS version 4006 and then after successfully being on 4006, work my way up to 4801. Often times a jump to the latest BIOS version can go sideways. In hindsight, you did all the steps properly, and you didn't get onboard BIOS version 3905, which was A.G.E.S.A code 1.2.0.5, that was the dreaded update that ruined a lot of platforms.

Just to be sure, you're on the latest BISO version 4801? If so, power down the system, disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery for 30 minutes before replacing. Remove the pen drive that was used to update the BIOS and then try powering up with defaults, but make sure you're not in CSM mode in BIOS.
The newest BIOS that I can download from the asus website is version 4201 which is what I updated to straight from version 3801. Asus doesn't seem to have the BIOS version 4801 listed on the page for my motherboard.

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017

Your specs;

Should I still go with what you said and update from the 4201 down to the 4006 despite not having the 4801 version available?
Also I can't figure out where the setting for disabling CSM mode is on my bios, and if its something I should disable now or after I have removed the CMOS battery for 30 minutes. If its a setting in the bios wouldn't it all be set back into default automatically anyways after taking out the cmos battery and putting it back in after 30 minutes?

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017

Your specs;

I did what you said, all in this order:

1) turned off my pc

2) Disconnected all the display cables and took out my gpu and the cmos battery (had to take out the gpu to access the battery)

3) After 30 minutes have passed, I put the pc back together, reconnected all the cables and booted back up.

4) I went into the bios to look for the CSM mode that you mentioned, I managed to find it and it said it was disabled.

5) I exited the bios without making any changes and booted into windows just fine.

6)I checked the task manager and noticed the ram speed is set at 3200mhz (I thought taking out the cmos battery for so long would have resetted the bios) so i was expecting to see 2133mhz, not 3200mhz.

7) I restarted my pc to make sure all is working fine even after a restart and I got a blue screen that said quote word for word "Recovery. Your PC/Device needs to be repaired, the digital signature for this file couldn't be verified. Error code: 0xc0000428. You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or usb device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer. Press F1 to enter Recovery Environment. Press F2 for UEFI Firmware settings."

8) Before I could figure out what to press my PC just shut itself off so I have turned it back on and after doing so it was just stuck on the Bios loading screen that has the ROG logo with the text saying "Please press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI BIOS setting" and it was completely unresponsive like pressing del or f2 wouldnt do anything it was just stuck on that screen.

9) Since I couldn't do anything I held down the power button on my PC until it turned off and turned it back on. After doing so, the PC loaded into windows normally, when I restart it will just do one of the things it did before. So in conclusion its still doing the same thing, and I'm not sure what I should do right now, like try downgrading to bios version 4006???

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
FINAL UPDATE

I was able to resolve the issue with bootups by removing the memory DOCP profile (aka XMP). It seems like for whatever reason any BIOS version above the 3801 causes issues with XMP profiles on ram, so if someone is having the same issue and they need a temporary solution for the bootup issues, just set your ram to default speeds (which means if the RAM is rated 3200Mhz, it should run at the ddr4 default which would be 2133Mhz).

Now I didn't see that as a solution because I was basically running my ram at much slower frequencies than it should be able to run, so from there I had 2 options:

1. Downgrade the BIOS to version 3801 that had no issues with running the ram at advertised speeds with the 3900x.
  2. Upgrade to a Ryzen 5000 CPU and hope that this will fix the issue.

I decided to go for option 2. I replaced my Ryzen 9 3900x with a Ryzen 7 5800X3D, simply replaced the CPU without reinstalling windows, went into BIOS settings, enabled DOCP so that the RAM runs at its advertised 3200Mhz and there, I have no more issues on BIOS version 4006.

Hopefully this helps someone down the line.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.