Question I upgraded an AMD phenom II X4 840T to an FX-6300

Feb 19, 2023
I upgraded an AMD phenom II X4 840T to an FX-6300, both use A3 socket, so just plug in. Machine will not boot with new CPU, can't seem to find a way to upgrade BIOS, it is Legacy. Old CPU works fine, did CMOS, HP Pavilion bios 6.04...any thoughts ? Needed a CPU with sse 4.2 or later instructions for Photoshop.

USAFRet

Titan
I upgraded an AMD phenom II X4 840T to an FX-6300, both use A3 socket, so just plug in. Machine will not boot with new CPU, can't seem to find a way to upgrade BIOS, it is Legacy. Old CPU works fine, did CMOS, HP Pavilion bios 6.04...any thoughts ? Needed a CPU with sse 4.2 or later instructions for Photoshop.
Per the (unknown) motherboard info, what does it say about BIOS versions and different CPUs?

DSzymborski

Titan

If you can't upgrade the BIOS then you're out of luck and the FX-6300 won't work. Unfortunately, this is a very old prebuilt so it will be poorly documented and you won't get much help from hp, and the fact that it is a prebuilt makes it less likely that a BIOS upgrade even exists. It's one of the many reasons that pre-builts become e-waste quicker than aftermarket parts.

If your needs are such that you have to specifically use Photoshop, a far more ambitious upgrade should be in the works than slapping in a disappointing 10-year-old CPU to replace a 12-year-old CPU.

Reactions: kennyP1958

logainofhades

Titan
You will never get that CPU, to work in that board. You need a totally new system. If money is tight, you can go with a 2nd gen i7, or higher, office refurb. Significantly more performance, than what an FX will deliver. I had an FX 8320, at one time, myself, and that chip was slower than my i5 2400.