[SOLVED] I upgraded graphics cards but my pc is running slower

Mar 18, 2021
Specs:
CPU: ryzen 5 2600
GPU: was rx 580 upgraded to 2080ti
PSU: corsair cxm 550 bronze
Ram: 16gb g. skill aegis
motherboard: gigabyte b450m ds3h

I have had an and radeon rx 570 in my PC for two years now and I recently upgraded to a 2080ti and when I booted the PC everything was super slow and when I rebooted after installing nvidia drivers, nothing saved and my PC went back to what it was before I installed nvidia drivers. If I try to anything remotely challenging, my PC freezes and I have to restart only for my PC to go back to how it was before I changed anything.

If there is any information that I missed let me know and I can provide it

Solution
The drivers may not be installing properly.

Download DDU, make sure you have the latest Nvidia drivers on hand, disconnect your PC from the internet, boot to safe mode to use DDU and scrub traces of both AMD and Nvidia GPU drivers from your system, reboot to normal mode then install Nvidia drivers.

I think you need to replace your PSU.
I don't think 550 watts is enough.
The GPU has no way of telling what PSU it is connected to. It is either enough and everything works normally, or it isn't and you get crashes/shutdowns/reboots.

At least the 550CXM is a decent PSU and shouldn't be an immediate hazard.

coloradoleo76

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Even if PC partpicker says the expected wattage is 419 watts?
I'd go with the manufacturer recommendations over the pcpartpicker calculator. Not that there's really anything wrong with the pcpartpicker calculator, but for GPU requirements at full load.. why take chances?

Did you uninstall the AMD drivers before installing the new card?

Even if PC partpicker says the expected wattage is 419 watts?
Yes.
PC partpicker uses an "ideal scenario".
In the real world things aren't ideal.
There are current surges that can drop the voltage.
This is why it's important to have headroom.
...and for headroom.... I like to have at least 200 watts.
This is probably why....even NVidia specs it for a 650 watt power supply minimum.

InvalidError

Titan
The drivers may not be installing properly.

Download DDU, make sure you have the latest Nvidia drivers on hand, disconnect your PC from the internet, boot to safe mode to use DDU and scrub traces of both AMD and Nvidia GPU drivers from your system, reboot to normal mode then install Nvidia drivers.

I think you need to replace your PSU.
I don't think 550 watts is enough.
The GPU has no way of telling what PSU it is connected to. It is either enough and everything works normally, or it isn't and you get crashes/shutdowns/reboots.

At least the 550CXM is a decent PSU and shouldn't be an immediate hazard.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I absolutely agree with @InvalidError 's sugestion of using DDU and then clean installing the latest drivers.

Getting to the PSU, it'll work (for now) - that said, it's not just the wattage, but also the quality of the PSU. That said, I at least partially concur with @jay32267 - you'd need higher wattage for a budget PSU, or a higher quality at 550, or, ideally, both, just to give yourself plenty of breathing room/margin for error.

The CXm is an okay model, but not really up to the rigors of a beefy video card. The CX isn't just a non-modular version of the CXm, but it's of a little bit better quality. Though, frankly, I'd recommend going higher up in the Corsair PSUs. See the first link in my sig.

But, back to the CXm, from the 2nd link in my sig, jonnyguru's "if you really have to go cheap on the PSU" suggestions:
The following are my "it will do" suggestions. They all have double forward topologies. I wouldn't use any of the below, but if you're on a really tight budget, they are options. Keep in mind, if you use a high end graphics card like an Nvidia 20 series (Turing) or AMD Vega or 5000 series, the main transformer is going to squeal like a pig. All of the below suggestions DO have DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V (i.e.: They are not group regulated).

Corsair: CX-M. Not to be confused with the non-M above. This one is not LLC. But it does have DC to DC like it's cousin. "Bronze" efficiency. Semi-modular. Black cables.
emphasis mine.

With GPUs, especially higher end ones, being ridiculously expensive these days, I'd invest in a higher quality PSU. If it were my system, I'd go for this:

(NewEgg) - Corsair RM650x - $64.99 after $20 mail-in rebate.

Oddly, the RM550x, despite being lower wattage, is $5 more for some reason.

In addition to that, one of these 10% off coupons (off the pre-rebate price) may work, so that'll knock another $8.50 off.
  • 2021EGGIEUPS
  • EMPUSA2021
I believe you have to be subscribed to their email alerts to be able to use them, and I can't guarantee they'll still work, but even without the 10% off, that RMx is a good deal for a very high quality PSU.

Mar 18, 2021
I'd go with the manufacturer recommendations over the pcpartpicker calculator. Not that there's really anything wrong with the pcpartpicker calculator, but for GPU requirements at full load.. why take chances?

Did you uninstall the AMD drivers before installing the new card?
I did not uninstall them but based on other replies it seems that I should download and run DDU to get rid of all drivers and then just reinstall them

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I did not uninstall them but based on other replies it seems that I should download and run DDU to get rid of all drivers and then just reinstall them
Yes, asbsolutely!
  1. Download the latest version of DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)
  2. Download the latest Nvidia drivers for the 2080Ti.
  3. Run DDU to completely remove the existing AMD drivers from your previous card.
  4. Just to be safe, run it again to completely remove the Nvidia drivers you installed as well (I'm a bit on the paranoid side)
  5. Reboot (even if it doesn't ask you to, because, again, I'm paranoid)
  6. Install the Nvidia drivers that you downloaded in step 2.
Also, as soon as possible:
7. Install a higher quality PSU​