I upgraded memory, PCI to VGA, and CD writer

cpfdl

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Since I upgraded the computer it restarts by itself at times. I have taken everything out and replace dhtem and I know they all are tight....if you move anything inside the case the computer restarts...with the cover on it restarts itself sometimes fo rno reason.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Something to start... If it is restarting with the cover on, and not restarting when the cover is off, that is most likely a heat issue. The whole restart when moving something in your case thing sounds like a connection issue with one of the power cords connected to the mobo. Try tapping the different connections on your mobo until you can find out which one does it. *shrug

Oh yeah... run RAM test (memtest86) too just in case.

cpfdl

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009

Yes PCI to AGP...SORRYYYYYY

cpfdl

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009

Same cable on C the new CD writer as I used before..both hard drive on Cd on same cable. I checked the cable though and it isn't that.
Thanks

cpfdl

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Computer AMD 64, ASUS mother board, 2800 Athlon processor, PSU 350, 2 512 sticks of ddr ram, HP CD Writer, Xabre 200 video card. It is old but good.

cpfdl

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009

Yes it is a re-build of one of my old ones...never had this problem before the re-build but I went through everything and it still restarts by itself. I guess I can put the PCI graphics back in and see if that is what is causing it...PSU is generic.

cpfdl

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
350psu is fine, whether generic or not unless it just took a dump. Restarting is an indication of overheating. You may need to clean the dust out of your cpu's cooling fan and fins, also maybe the intake on the front of the case and the exhaust on the back likely clogged with dust.

I thought I had cleaned everything pretty good but I will check again.
Thanks