[SOLVED] I upgraded my computer and it won’t boot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 29, 2021
I bought a $4,000 prebuilt off of Newegg (I’m aware I overpaid and should’ve built my own) and I bought a second RTX 3090. I got the 3090, the computer and a 1200w PSU. I removed the previous 850w EVGA PSU and installed my 1200w Corsair PSU. I re did the cables, and kept some of the evga cables in use with the Corsair PSU. I installed the second 3090 (it’s a FE and a ROG STRIX in the system) and now it won’t boot. I powered my motherboard, cpu, both gpus, fans and my SSD and hard drive. Been troubleshooting and am still not sure why it won’t boot. Could it be because I’m using the EVGA cables or is there another issue?

Update! The PSU was fried from the factory. The prebuilt was about 2 months old. I switched back to the 850w psu and removed a 3090 and all the computer will do is turn on the RAM LEDs. What does this mean?

If specs affect anything, I’ll list them below
Intel i9 108500k
Aorus Z590 Ultra
ROG STRIX 3090
EVGA Modular 850w (which I attempted to upgrade, hence the existence of this post)
32gb GSkill RGB
1tb SSD
2tb Hard Drive

Solution
Then look up hx1200s failures. They are everywhere just googling it i can find repeated post everywhere

THIS issue is everywhere

There is "zero risk" of the issue damaging your hardware, just potentially your sanity.

Again, I see nothing stating HX1200 PSUs are "Frying motherboards".

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I was able to provide three witnesses (my friend, dad and brother) who smelled the PSU the night before I ran it. Corsair is replacing the PSU at the moment. Both GPUs work. Getting a motherboard diagnostic to see if it’s the core or the MOBO that’s broken. Corsair already agreed that after I could provide a statement from Micro Center (the people doing the diagnostic) that one of the two is broken, they’d replace it.

Did you say anything about the cables?

Jun 29, 2021
Color me skeptical. A PSU that smelled so bad that you remember its smell isn't one that someone is likely to use with $5000-$6000 worth of GPUs. And it's awfully convenient that the thing that you did that has a high probability of frying your parts just happened to totally not be your fault after all. A broken PSU of modern design is extremely unlikely to actually fry anything these days.

Unless someone at Corsair is feeling extremely generous, this is unfortunately likely to be one of the more expensive lessons I've seen in PC building.
I didn’t “remember” that the smell was bad. I had never smelled a PSU or knew that they shouldn’t smell like that. The reason I figured that out was after I contacted Corsair. if anything, the PSU coming in fried, as I stated, was actually a good thing. Full system is operational except for the Motherboard. (Even CPU works) so it’s only a $300 expense which Corsair said they’d be willing to take care of for me.

bignastyid

Titan
Smell doesn't kill a PSU. Chances of a DOA Corsair PSU are also fairly low. Chances of making an expensive brick by using the wrong cables is high.

@jonnyguru I'm thinking if the rep knew the user used EVGA cables that the RMA would not have been approved no matter how bad the "smell" was when the box was opened.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I was able to provide three witnesses (my friend, dad and brother) who smelled the PSU the night before I ran it. Corsair is replacing the PSU at the moment. Both GPUs work. Getting a motherboard diagnostic to see if it’s the core or the MOBO that’s broken. Corsair already agreed that after I could provide a statement from Micro Center (the people doing the diagnostic) that one of the two is broken, they’d replace it.

I'm betting you clearly left out that you used the wrong cables with it.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Then look up hx1200s failures. They are everywhere just googling it i can find repeated post everywhere

THIS issue is everywhere

There is "zero risk" of the issue damaging your hardware, just potentially your sanity.

Solution
Going to sound like a jerk, but frankly people doing so much mining are driving up prices for everyone. Hopefully you didn’t fry anything but if you did I’m guessing you won’t make that mistake again. Power supplies do sometimes smell off when you first get them until they burn in a bit.

Good luck, but if your actions fried your system, Corsair should not be paying for it.

THIS issue is everywhere

Sorry i completely misunderstood what i read yes that's what i was talking about. I dont know how i missed the while frying mobos part. But that is still a thing i have seen a couple post where it has fried the mobo but only that i know of did as he did and fried the mobo that way. But the reason hus fried is because he didnt use just the gpu cables from old psu he had he just unplugged the old modularity cables from his old psu fully not the system and plugged all old cables into the new psu

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Sorry i completely misunderstood what i read yes that's what i was talking about. I dont know how i missed the while frying mobos part. But that is still a thing i have seen a couple post where it has fried the mobo but only that i know of did as he did and fried the mobo that way. But the reason hus fried is because he didnt use just the gpu cables from old psu he had he just unplugged the old modularity cables from his old psu fully not the system and plugged all old cables into the new psu

Yes I know that is the reason his fried.

Incidentally, almost any PSU you can look up and someone will swear it "fried" their board. In the case of high end PSUs like this one, its almost always user induced, or the board was screwed to begin with.