[SOLVED] I upgraded my laptop to an ssd, then my battery stops charging.

Garlicsaws

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
So I took out my old laptop hard drive, inserted a used ssd with an OS, the OS worked with the laptop, then I used the Reset this PC windows function. After resetting, the battery is not moving from 19%, without the charger the laptop will not turn on also. The battery says "19% available (plugged in)", I tried everything; Hard battery reset, reinstalling battery drivers, reinstalling windows from a flash drive, changed chargers. The only thing left is to buy a new battery. I also pulled the battery connector while the laptop is on, the status changes to no battery detected, then when I plug it back it, it returns to "19% available (plugged in)". Before I buy a new battery, is there another way I can try? I swear it was working before I changed my hdd to an ssd.

OK so as I was about to post this, the battery status changed to "22% 1 hr 25 min left before full charge" so I was excited I thought it was fixed. I pulled the charger then it died, now its at "22% available (plugged in)" and still wont turn on without the charger

heres the pic https://ibb.co/BZKtzRr

Solution
changing hdd has no affect on battery. you must have unplugged something. bent a pin, not connected well , batter cell gone bad,anything could be a problem. charging ic dead
Laptops have unique software that manages the battery.
See if you can't download the drivers particular to your laptop and install them.
If your ssd is a samsung, reinsert your old HDD and use the ssd migration aid to move the C drive to the ssd. That will bring along the needed software,

Garlicsaws

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
Laptops have unique software that manages the battery.
See if you can't download the drivers particular to your laptop and install them.
If your ssd is a samsung, reinsert your old HDD and use the ssd migration aid to move the C drive to the ssd. That will bring along the needed software,
Yes the ssd is a samsung, is that the reason it won’t charge? Btw I wiped the old hdd, will it work if I install windows on the old hdd then migrate to ssd?

The easy thing to do is to reinstall the original HDD. Attach your samsung ssd via a usb to sata adapter cable.
It looks like this:
https://www.newegg.com/p/36F-006M-0...V8wiICR1POQufEAYYASABEgIXHvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Run the samsung ssd migration app.
You can download the app and instructions here:
It will move your C drive to the ssd. It takes a while, perhaps an hour or more.
When done, replace the hdd with the newly cloned ssd and boot.
All of your original stuff will be there.
If you still have problems charging, it may well be your battery.
They do not last forever.
If you replace the battery, buy an original replacement, not a "compatible" unit. some of them do not work properly.

Garlicsaws

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
The easy thing to do is to reinstall the original HDD. Attach your samsung ssd via a usb to sata adapter cable.
It looks like this:
https://www.newegg.com/p/36F-006M-0...V8wiICR1POQufEAYYASABEgIXHvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Run the samsung ssd migration app.
You can download the app and instructions here:
It will move your C drive to the ssd. It takes a while, perhaps an hour or more.
When done, replace the hdd with the newly cloned ssd and boot.
All of your original stuff will be there.
If you still have problems charging, it may well be your battery.
They do not last forever.
If you replace the battery, buy an original replacement, not a "compatible" unit. some of them do not work properly.
I put back the old HDD, then reinstalled windows. It didn’t work, the battery is still not charging. Although something bizarrely happened the day I posted this thread, the battery turned 100% and was usable, but it was draining much faster than before, then days past and it wont charge again.

humzy12

Great
BANNED
Jun 6, 2020
changing hdd has no affect on battery. you must have unplugged something. bent a pin, not connected well , batter cell gone bad,anything could be a problem. charging ic dead

Solution

Garlicsaws

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
I found something on the internet, it said to let it charge for a while, I did and it worked. It’s now powering on battery but it’s draining faster than before even at idle.